Cost to install bamboo floor? DIY?

Guys,

I'm in a preconstruction phase for a condo to be finished late next year. Within a week or so I'll be called in to select my options. For flooring I do know I will have basic hardwood flooring options + bamboo, though I am not privy to the cost until the selection meeting.

Having seen it installed in other condos I really like the bamboo look. Now I'm just wondering if I should go thru the builder or have it installed after the fact. The place will be in downtown San Diego, so the labor cost should be sky high. Also the HOA rules dictate a STC rating of 50 between flooring, not sure if this is a great feat to accomplish. Looking online I see bamboo flooring is roughly $4/sqft, guestimating maybe $10/sqft total with install? This is to cover approx. 600 sqft = $6000. Does this seem in the ballpark?

Also any idea what the extra incurred cost would be to have the carpets ripped out... which I may very well do if the builder gouges?

Would this be a difficult and/or time consuming DIY project?

Reply to
Beau Randall

I suspect you are going to end up paying for two floors if you don't have the builder do it. Most local regulations require finished floors in place before you close on your home. I doubt if you will save money by not letting the builder do the work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'm aware of that, that's what I wrote "Also any idea what the extra incurred cost would be to have the carpets ripped out... which I may very well do if the builder gouges?"

You might be surprised. The builder makes a profit on upgrades. The upcharge for basic appliances can be 30-50% from what I've seen. Also consider on basic finishings they save money on bulk materials/labor and whatnot.

In any case, with a couple hours more research I think I've found my answers.

Thx for the response.

Reply to
Beau Randall

That's not far off for local work, but seeing as I'm 2,300 miles from your area it may have no bearing at all. And it's nowhere near as accurate as calling your local installers and asking for a quote.

Bamboo flooring wouldn't be difficult or time consuming for me. I have no idea what your skill set is or what tools you own or are familiar with, so I can't give you an answer that fits you.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Not a difficult job at all. Be sure to check the cost first as the builder is buying in bulk, has experienced labor already on site, and has easier methods of getting the stuff to the room other than lugging it yourself. He also carries some burden for a faulty installation that you'd have to bear yourself.

If you do decide to do it yourself, a cheap miter saw and a few hand tools is all you need. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski