Cost to install a new gas dryer (old one broke)

Page 2 of 2

you're a politician and the plumber was trying to get even? usually the appliance store has a reasonable price to connect a dryer but they don't change the gas shut off near the dryer which your plumber should do. get an estimate next time, but when you put in a new gas $10 shutoff and new flexible gas connector kit $20 and any teflon tape $2, these add up. :) if you want to feel better, call the permit office and ask what a plumbing license costs, and ask an insurance man how much plumbers liability insurance costs, i have no idea, just thinking. how might bethesda differ see: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bethesda-Maryland.html
"Bethesda is a wealthy and well-educated area. According to the 2000 Census, Bethesda is the best-educated city in the nation with a population of 50,000 or more. 79% of residents 25 or older have bachelor's degrees and 49% have graduate or professional degrees. The median income for a household is $99,102, and the median income for a family was $130,160. Males had a median income of $84,797 versus $57,569 for females. The per capita income for the area was $58,479. About 1.7% of families and 3.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.8% of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those age 65 or over. Many commute to Washington D.C. for work. " http://www.answers.com/topic/bethesda-maryland
Salary in Bethesda-Frederick-Gaithersburg MD: $99,102 Comparable salary in Buffalo NY: $73,646.11 If you move from Bethesda-Frederick-Gaithersburg MD to Buffalo NY...     Groceries will cost:     11.439%     less Housing will cost:     50.559%     less Utilities will cost:     22.111%     more Transportation will cost:     8.564%     less Healthcare will cost:     15.002%     less see calculator and plug in the cities at: http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You were too lazy to do it yourself and you didn't shop around, and now you are complaining about the price. Sounds like you should have done your homework.
Even if you are afraid to install it yourself, there is no reason why you could not have remioved the old one yourself if there was a working cutoff valve at the dryer. If not then the charge to remove old dryer and install a valve and do some repiping there would have been justified.
And without details of what the install consisted if it's hard to say, but adding a piece of flex hose and dryer vent stuff could have potentially been complicated, but unilkely.
Lets see, you didn't ask for a price upfront. The work is done now.
I'd make a stink, but don't expect much sympathy. I've got a couple friends who live in that area. For four bills, I coulda drove down from NY State and stayed overnight with friends. Done your dryer, and then had time to go to the temple and attend a session, and come home.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On 11 Oct 2006 16:52:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I did my own with no experience and had no l problems. I even had to extend the gas pipe a little...simply solved with a tee and a new legth of pipe. Checked for leaks with dish soap on the pipe. This was about two years ago...no problems.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No real reason to be scared of gas, it's not difficult and you would smell it if there were a leak. When we moved into our house and took our old dryer with us, it would never have occurred to me to call anyone to hook it up. It probably took thirty minutes to connect the gas line, vent line, and power.
You got taken, but it's too late now.
Another reason to consult "Angie's List" for your area. Not a scam but a successful, FREE service that helps homeowners.

replying to mikeclancy, Melissa wrote:

Hi Mike,
I am from Silver Spring, MD. I just bought a washer dryer from Sears. Sears puts out a bid to independent contractors for the install. Well, yesterday the dryer finally came after a month of waiting. The contractor demanded an extra $120 for the gas valve install. He refused to do any further work until a check was written. This is in addition to the install cost we already paid to Sears. This is a total ripoff. I called Sears prior to buying the dryer what the additional cost of putting in a gas dryer vs electric and Sears said $90. You might get a good price on a washer and dryer from Sears, but beware of the contractors. I ended up paying twice for the install: once from Sears and then from the contractors. Contractors get paid from Sears, but apparently not enough, so they have to stick it to the customers. Beware of Quality Kitchens and Appliances.
Melissa wrote:

Is it illegal doing it yourself?
On 9/22/2014 12:08 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Depends on where you live. State codes vary. Some not only require a licensed gas fitter (not a plumber) but inspection after.
I did my own as well as for a few friends. We were sure to check for leaks.
On Sunday, September 21, 2014 10:44:01 PM UTC-4, Melissa wrote:

IDK what really happened here, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to blame the contractor for "sticking it" to the customer. In this case there was an electric dryer being replaced by gas. IDK how Sears or anyone could figure out how much it would cost. Did Sears or the contractor see the job before quoting the $90 extra? How about if the nearest gas connection is 50 ft from where the dryer is? Or it's on a second story, while the gas piping is in the basement, etc? It sounds to me like there is more to the story than is being told. Like the extra $90 was quoted *if* certain conditions were present and when the installer got there, they may have found out extra work was required. Could still be a ripoff, but it's sure not clear from the facts given.
Mellisa...Mike hasn't been around for 8 yrs, but thanks for the advice! ;^)
On 9/21/2014 10:44 PM, Melissa wrote:

Can't say for sure without seeing it. To add a valve to an existing line could be a simple job and $35 charge would be fair. OTOH, it he had to shut all the gas off, relight pilots, purge air, etc. It could be more costly.
Code required a valve be in the line near the appliance. Sounds like the original piping may have been done wrong.

Sears price is based on a simple disconnect and reconnect. If a valve was missing or not properly installed, extra unforeseen work had to be done. Then it comes down to the price for the amount of work done.