Cost per sq ft for new house in NJ?

You just don't understand. If you build a house using the least expensive materials the house will cost less. Take the kitchen counter top. Use the plywood and laminate and it is only a few dollars a foot. Goto granite and the cost will go way up. Cheep carpet or lanolium or expensive carpet ? Bath room , tile , marbel, or other. Standard tub or custom built shower. I just had a shower installed and it was about $ 3000 for the materials. This is a small one about 3 feet each way. Mirrows on the wall was $ 100 at Lowes. Wife wanted some that cost about $ 300 each at a custom shop going on looks, then the shock hit her as she was going to put in two of them. Real wood panneling or some of the printed stuff.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Oh my, you found a typo I made Congratulations, your prize is in the mail. No, I'm not going to get lost.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

None. Prefer gin or bourbon.

Labor cost varies. Material cost varies. Ability to extract more from some customers over others varies.

The $900 figure was an exaggeration, but not kowing other factors, it is not possible to give a fair estimate. Ask a dumb question, you get a dumb answer. When yo ask a smart question well . . . . you figure it out.

Yo just don't get it, probably never will.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh my, you don't know much about building do you? There is a loss factor in the pricing. Guess how that factor is determined?

OK class, our next lesson will be on pay scale and how it varies .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That is just ONE factor. Labor rates and other factotrs do come into play.

That has not been my experience. I've found great differences withing the state of NJ.

Right, they bus them in from Short Hills.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Material and labor costs establish a minimum but not max...builders charge as much as they can get, there is no max to profit. "

Well duh! That's like saying a supermarket charges as much as they can for an orange. We all know that, but supply and demand put a limit on it and there is an average price for an orange in NJ isn't there? Or how about what's a TYPICAL price for getting middle of the road carpet installed in a square 300 ft room? Does that vary 7-8X too? Realtors regularly calculate the median and average price for a home and come up with a number, don't they?

"It also depends much on what you want. Do you want Pella windows or mill finish aluminum? Insert fireplace or masonry? Square footprint with a simple roof or one that requires a chopped up roof? Wall to wall carpet or hardwood floor? Simple flat ceiling or all sorts of trays, etc.? MDF cabinets or hardwood? Et cetera. "

Which is why I stated in the original question: "I know it will depend on a lot of things. Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either, just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how much per sq ft? "

What I'm looking for is a middle of the road, typical house. Sure, we all know you can spend a lot more on upgrades. Let's say a house outfitted so that most people would consider it average costs $400K to build. Suppose I put an extra $100K into it in upgrades, which would make it well above average in terms of what's in it, at least for most people. That's an increase of 25%, not 7-8X like Ed asserted.

"Seems to me that $120 - $900 is realistic for those reasons and because

*where* something is being built has a huge effect on price. For example, my concrete block/stucco house has 5400' under roof, another 3000' open (courtyards, patios); Monier barrel tile roof; tile floors everywhere except one room which has 3/4" maple; large kitchen with custom made cabinets, all lowers with pull outs; custom made butternut interior doors. It sits on 10 acres of lakefront property which also has 35-40 large oaks and a pond."

And if I built the same thing 10 miles away on a smaller lot without oak trees and a pond it could cost 7-8X more or less? Because? Where talking CONSTRUCTION cost here, not lot prices.

So far, a few people apparently understood the question. And Vic provided an answer along the lines I was looking for, with his estimate of $150-180 per square foot.

Reply to
trader4

My, my, don't we become testy about what is an acceptable answer?

If you've such rigid bounds, why not say something like: "If you tell me less than or more than except for specific counties/architects/builders, I'll call you an idiot."?

You'd do well to listen more. Or let someone else be your friend's hero.

TTFN, J

Reply to
barry

"If you tell me less than or more than except for specific counties/architects/builders, I'll call you an idiot."? You'd do well to listen more."

Sorry I have no time for morons that give answers when they have no clue. The question I asked is straightforward. At least one person gave a response that seems realistic. So, yeah I'm gonna get testy when idiots give reply's like:

"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost."

Sure, I know there is a range and that it will cost somewhat more to build the same exact house in one part of NJ as compared to another. But sorry, 7 to 8X is just plain stupid

Or these gems from another poster saying a 7 to 8X cost differential for construction cost is reasonable.

"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills? Forgetaboutit!

You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the state of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps you can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden versus Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about this tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you. "

I suppose I should just thank her for her valuable insight and helping me out. LOL

What I'm looking for, someone who really knows, could tell me easily. A builder for example could give this info in a flash. So, sorry, but I'm not gonna sit here and listen to rubbish.

Reply to
trader4

Not to get involved in the pissing match, but I agree this is vague and the resulting answers would be a guess (at best). Google past posts, most inquiries asking for cost per sqr foot building/renovating, and most end up this way.

A better post would be to ask if anyone has build in these areas, what was the cost per sqr foot, and type of building did you get.

kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Because I still love you!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Material and labor costs establish a minimum but not max...builders charge as much as they can get, there is no max to profit.

It also depends much on what you want. Do you want Pella windows or mill finish aluminum? Insert fireplace or masonry? Square footprint with a simple roof or one that requires a chopped up roof? Wall to wall carpet or hardwood floor? Simple flat ceiling or all sorts of trays, etc.? MDF cabinets or hardwood? Et cetera.

Seems to me that $120 - $900 is realistic for those reasons and because

*where* something is being built has a huge effect on price. For example, my concrete block/stucco house has 5400' under roof, another 3000' open (courtyards, patios); Monier barrel tile roof; tile floors everywhere except one room which has 3/4" maple; large kitchen with custom made cabinets, all lowers with pull outs; custom made butternut interior doors. It sits on 10 acres of lakefront property which also has 35-40 large oaks and a pond. I was my own general, had subs do the shell including drywall. Rest I did myself. Cost was a bit less than $37 sq.ft. including land, $28 without it. Figure at least double that if I had had a builder do it. That was in Florida and 10 years ago...today building costs would be maybe 25 - 30% more.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Sure could. Carpet or anything else. ____________

For a particular house, no. For houses in general, yeah...based on previous sales which are based on what people were willing to pay. _________________

The point is that what is premium for one person may well be cheapo for another. And vice versa. _________________

So was I. I've seen lots of places where a house built in an upscale neighborhood was priced way more - several times - than a similar house in a less desirable neighborhood. *After* factoring in the difference in cost of the lot.

The point was that *where* makes a huge differenced in "average cost". I built a house here in Florida for $27 sq.ft. Doubt I could in New Jersey. By the same token, I'm reasonably sure there are areas in NJ between which the "costs" vary widely too. Note the quotes around "costs". _______________

So plan on that and be surprised...either pleasantly or unpleasantly.

Your question was easily understood but the fact is that until you have a set of plans and talk to some contractors it isn't easily answerable. You could probably build a comparable place yourself for 2/3 - 1/2...if you are willing to pull your own permits and hire your own subs.

If you want to get a truer idea of *actual* costs, look up the asking prices of some new houses, then check the valuation on the building permits for same.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

think about this trader, 2x4 construction? 2x 6?

what type of trim, bungalow, 2 story, backsplit, is the lot level, drainage problems??

hardwood floors/ carpet/tile/granite??

fireplaces??/ etc...

steel roof, brick, siding???

how the hell do we know what your friend want and what it will cost, like you said average to 1 person could be oak flooring, while average to another is homedepot carpet...

Reply to
Punch

I can tell you from reading many of Ed's post's that he is NO fool. Your OP had little to no details and thus your answer. Cost per square foot can go up dramatically in high cost regions. Especially if all the contractors are very busy. When you start adding expensive options that will bring the cost up too. We built a home down here in Florida and the cost per square went up about 50% after the wife was done adding all the goodies.....well...my 2 cents....

Reply to
Ross Mac