Cost per sq ft for new house in NJ?

Page 1 of 2
I have a friend who is going through the options for obtaining a house in NJ. One of the possibilities is buying a lot and then building a house on it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much per square foot an average house costs to build. I know it will depend on a lot of things. Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either, just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how much per sq ft?
On 18 Aug 2005 13:49:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote Re Cost per sq ft for new house in NJ?:

For a simple 4-sided nothing fancy house, about $150 - $180 per sq ft. That's for the house only. Items such as landscaping, driveway, the lot itself, grading, utilities, permits would be extra.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a square foot.
Big state, lots of variables in labor cost.
In NJ, look at www.reddiform.com
"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a
square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost. "
Thanks for the useless reply, now go back to sleep, OK?

I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your question. Be more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar with housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer. 'tis you the one that must wake up. The difference quoted are realistic between Fortescue and Fort Lee.
"I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your question. Be more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar with housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer."
OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get lost so someone who knows something may reply.

I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year how much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house. He told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC zones, choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. I suppose if you wanted to low bid everything and have minimum standards you might do better.
It's not very nice to ridicule someone who is trying to help you. NJ is a hot real estate market right now. Condos, townhomes, and single family houses are selling at premium prices and builders are very busy. Even handyman specials are getting bought up at inflated prices. I got a call from an old friend of mine several weeks ago. She lives in Summit. Her neighbors sold their 2200 square foot ranch (On less than an acre) for one million dollars a few months ago just because of the location. You do the math.
"I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year how much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house. He told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC zones, choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. "
And if Edwin's reply was similar to what your builder told you, I wouldn't be ridiculing him. But it wasn't, was it? He said $120 to $900 because labor costs vary by location. Sure, I know there is going to be some variation, but nearly 8X is just plain crazy. There is no way in hell the same house built in two different areas of NJ on land you already own is going to vary that much.

had little to no details and thus your answer. Cost per square foot can go up dramatically in high cost regions. Especially if all the contractors are very busy. When you start adding expensive options that will bring the cost up too. We built a home down here in Florida and the cost per square went up about 50% after the wife was done adding all the goodies.....well...my 2 cents....

Oh my, you found a typo I made Congratulations, your prize is in the mail. No, I'm not going to get lost.

think about this trader, 2x4 construction? 2x 6?
what type of trim, bungalow, 2 story, backsplit, is the lot level, drainage problems??
hardwood floors/ carpet/tile/granite??
fireplaces??/ etc...
steel roof, brick, siding???
how the hell do we know what your friend want and what it will cost, like you said average to 1 person could be oak flooring, while average to another is homedepot carpet...

You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills? Forgetaboutit!
Liz
"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills? Forgetaboutit! "
Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the state of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps you can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden versus Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about this tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you.
Liz
"You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the state of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps you can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden versus Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about this tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you. "
And socio-economics and crime rate of one location versus another in NJ has exactly what to do with the cost of the labor and materials to build the same house? Good idea to go to bed Liz so you stop embarrassing yourself here. The question I asked was for the CONSTRUCTION cost of builiding a house in NJ. Everyone knows that a two bedroom crappy house in a slum sells for a hell of a lot less than a 4 bedroom house on an acre. No need to explain that. What I'm waiting for is the explaination of how the construction cost for the same exact house built in two locations in NJ can vary by 7 to 8 times. LOL
"builiding" a house in NJ. Everyone knows that a two bedroom crappy house in a slum sells for a hell of a lot less than a 4 bedroom house on an acre. No need to explain that. What I'm waiting for is the "explaination"
Go to bed and get some rest.

Oh my, you don't know much about building do you? There is a loss factor in the pricing. Guess how that factor is determined?
OK class, our next lesson will be on pay scale and how it varies .
"Oh my, you don't know much about building do you? There is a loss factor in the pricing. Guess how that factor is determined? "
Nice work Ed helping Liz dig herself out of her hole explaining the cost implications of socio-economics in Camden vs Short Hills. Let me get this straight. Since the crime rate is way higher in Camden, it will cost more to build the same house there, than it does in Short Hills right? Dooh! But that was the exact opposite of what you were trying to prove!
"OK class, our next lesson will be on pay scale and how it varies ."
No one is denying that pay scale varies or that it's a factor in construction costs. That's why it's very important to know the house of interest is in NJ, as opposed to Iowa. Sure there are even labor cost differences in NJ, but they aren't as wide as the labor cost differences between NJ and Iowa. And surely labor cost differences don't explain your assertion that there is a 7 to 8 times construction cost difference for building the exact same house in two locations in NJ. And BTW, labor cost differences don't explain construction cost differences between Camden and Short Hills either. That's because the unemployed, unskilled workers in Camden aren't the guys that are going to be doing most of the construction work there anyway.

That is just ONE factor. Labor rates and other factotrs do come into play.

That has not been my experience. I've found great differences withing the state of NJ.

Right, they bus them in from Short Hills.
"That has not been my experience. I've found great differences withing the state of NJ. "
Yeah, differences of 7-8X for the same construction within NJ. LOL Why do you persist in embarrassing yourself? At least Liz had sense enough to go to bed after making an ass of herself.