Cost per sq ft for new house in NJ?

I have a friend who is going through the options for obtaining a house in NJ. One of the possibilities is buying a lot and then building a house on it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much per square foot an average house costs to build. I know it will depend on a lot of things. Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either, just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how much per sq ft?

Reply to
trader4

"Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a

square foot. Big state, lots of variables in labor cost. "

Thanks for the useless reply, now go back to sleep, OK?

Reply to
trader4

"I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your question. Be more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar with housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer."

OK, I was nice and gave you the benefit of the doubt by implying that you must have just gotten up. Since you're wide away (sic) then you must be a total moron to claim that construction costs in NJ can vary from $120 to $900 per square foot depending on location. Now just get lost so someone who knows something may reply.

Reply to
trader4

"I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year how much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house. He told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC zones, choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. "

And if Edwin's reply was similar to what your builder told you, I wouldn't be ridiculing him. But it wasn't, was it? He said $120 to $900 because labor costs vary by location. Sure, I know there is going to be some variation, but nearly 8X is just plain crazy. There is no way in hell the same house built in two different areas of NJ on land you already own is going to vary that much.

Reply to
trader4

"You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills? Forgetaboutit! "

Then maybe you can explain why the same house built in Short Hills is going to cost 7 times what it would in Camden? Are materials 7X expensive? Labor? I know there is going to be some variation, but this $120 to $900 is just pure nonsense!

Reply to
trader4

"You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the state of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps you can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden versus Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about this tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you. "

And socio-economics and crime rate of one location versus another in NJ has exactly what to do with the cost of the labor and materials to build the same house? Good idea to go to bed Liz so you stop embarrassing yourself here. The question I asked was for the CONSTRUCTION cost of builiding a house in NJ. Everyone knows that a two bedroom crappy house in a slum sells for a hell of a lot less than a 4 bedroom house on an acre. No need to explain that. What I'm waiting for is the explaination of how the construction cost for the same exact house built in two locations in NJ can vary by 7 to 8 times. LOL

Reply to
trader4

"Not looking for super premium outfitting, nor cheapest either, just avg for a nice 3000-3500 square foot house. Any estimates on how much per sq ft? "

Did I say I want the least expensive? The most expensive? Any imbecile knows that construction costs can vary depending on what quality materials one wants. I'm looking for an average, middle of the road number for construction cost. Or a reasonable range, which certainly isn't $120 to $900 based on labor cost variations from one part of NJ to another.

Reply to
trader4

"He's not talking about land - construction costs for the identical

3000 sf home are not going to vary by a factor of 7. What, the lumberyards that

serve Short Hills are charging 15 bucks for a 2x4? People are paying

200 per hour for a framer? Short Bus sounds more like it.

Granted, you can drop 100K or more on a kitchen alone - but the _identical_ upper/ mid home is not going to vary that much in construction costs. "

Thank you Ranieri! I was beginning to think I was the only sane one here!

Reply to
trader4

"Have you been to Short Hills? Your question is the part ridiculous. How big is a box? How much does a truck/car/airplane/boat cost? "

And how much vodka have you had to drink tonight Ed?

You've still not narrowed the area down or given an idea of what YOU think is a middle line quality of fixture. When you talk about the square footage you speak of, you are not going to find second rate fixtures, trim, etc. "

And what does that have to do with your assertion that the SAME exact house will have 7 to 8X construction cost variation depending on where it is located in NJ?

"What if fitting for the town you are in? A friend of mine is building a house that size right now. It is about $400 a square foot. Meaningless number without some background. "

And how much vodka have you had to drink tonight Ed?

Reply to
trader4

"Oh my, you don't know much about building do you? There is a loss factor in the pricing. Guess how that factor is determined? "

Nice work Ed helping Liz dig herself out of her hole explaining the cost implications of socio-economics in Camden vs Short Hills. Let me get this straight. Since the crime rate is way higher in Camden, it will cost more to build the same house there, than it does in Short Hills right? Dooh! But that was the exact opposite of what you were trying to prove!

"OK class, our next lesson will be on pay scale and how it varies ."

No one is denying that pay scale varies or that it's a factor in construction costs. That's why it's very important to know the house of interest is in NJ, as opposed to Iowa. Sure there are even labor cost differences in NJ, but they aren't as wide as the labor cost differences between NJ and Iowa. And surely labor cost differences don't explain your assertion that there is a 7 to 8 times construction cost difference for building the exact same house in two locations in NJ. And BTW, labor cost differences don't explain construction cost differences between Camden and Short Hills either. That's because the unemployed, unskilled workers in Camden aren't the guys that are going to be doing most of the construction work there anyway.

Reply to
trader4

On 18 Aug 2005 13:49:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote Re Cost per sq ft for new house in NJ?:

For a simple 4-sided nothing fancy house, about $150 - $180 per sq ft. That's for the house only. Items such as landscaping, driveway, the lot itself, grading, utilities, permits would be extra.

Reply to
Vic Dura

"That has not been my experience. I've found great differences withing the state of NJ. "

Yeah, differences of 7-8X for the same construction within NJ. LOL Why do you persist in embarrassing yourself? At least Liz had sense enough to go to bed after making an ass of herself.

Reply to
trader4

He's not talking about land - construction costs for the identical 3000 sf home are not going to vary by a factor of 7. What, the lumberyards that serve Short Hills are charging 15 bucks for a 2x4? People are paying 200 per hour for a framer? Short Bus sounds more like it.

Granted, you can drop 100K or more on a kitchen alone - but the _identical_ upper/ mid home is not going to vary that much in construction costs.

Reply to
Ranieri

I think Edwin's reply is fairly accurate. I asked a builder last year how much should I figure per square foot if I was to build my own house. He told me that I should roughly figure $200.00 per, but there are many variables such as the quality of the kitchen and baths, multiple HVAC zones, choice of fixtures and appliances, etc. I suppose if you wanted to low bid everything and have minimum standards you might do better.

It's not very nice to ridicule someone who is trying to help you. NJ is a hot real estate market right now. Condos, townhomes, and single family houses are selling at premium prices and builders are very busy. Even handyman specials are getting bought up at inflated prices. I got a call from an old friend of mine several weeks ago. She lives in Summit. Her neighbors sold their 2200 square foot ranch (On less than an acre) for one million dollars a few months ago just because of the location. You do the math.

Reply to
John Grabowski

You're absolutely right. Camden I could afford...Short Hills? Forgetaboutit!

Liz

Reply to
Liz

You're obviously not familiar with the socio-economics involved in the state of NJ. It's too late at night for me to explain this to you. Perhaps you can do a Google search on crime/unemployment/average income of Camden versus Short Hills. I'm going to bed now. If you're still confused about this tomorrow I'll try to explain it to you.

Liz

Reply to
Liz

"builiding" a house in NJ. Everyone knows that a two bedroom crappy house in a slum sells for a hell of a lot less than a 4 bedroom house on an acre. No need to explain that. What I'm waiting for is the "explaination"

Go to bed and get some rest.

Reply to
PanHandler

Camden? Short Hills? Downtown Newark? You can figure $120 to $900 a square foot.

Big state, lots of variables in labor cost.

In NJ, look at

Edwin Pawlowski

I'm wide away and have been. The reply is as accurate as your question. Be more specific and the answer can be more specific. I'm a bit familiar with housing cost in NJ and I stand by the accuracy of my answer. 'tis you the one that must wake up. The difference quoted are realistic between Fortescue and Fort Lee.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Have you been to Short Hills? Your question is the part ridiculous. How big is a box? How much does a truck/car/airplane/boat cost? You've still not narrowed the area down or given an idea of what YOU think is a middle line quality of fixture. When you talk about the square footage you speak of, you are not going to find second rate fixtures, trim, etc. What if fitting for the town you are in? A friend of mine is building a house that size right now. It is about $400 a square foot. Meaningless number without some background.

Ask the RIGHT question if you want an accurate answer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski