Cost of Vinyl Tile Installation

We went to a large flooring store in NJ. We liked a Duraceramic tile. The sample on display had grout lines and a price of about $4.65 / sq. ft for the tile and about $2.65 for installation. I had a sketch of my kitchen and the salesperson said it would be approx. $1100 total installed. After the store did a pre-measurement of our kitchen, they said that the tiles would cost $770 but the installation would be another $1200 for a total of $1900. This seemed unreasonable as the tile is simply going over an existing linoleum floor just using thin-set. They added extra for the glue, the grout and separate labor for grouting, in addition to actually laying the tile.
Is this an unreasonable cost for installation? Shouldn't the installating be less than the tile cost and include materials? If yes, what percentage is average for a simple floor? Thanks.

Maybe I'm the only one confused here, but since when does vinyl tile involve thin-set and grout? And when does any tile involve both thin- set and glue? I'm also no too sure about thin-set over linoleum.
On Oct 19, 5:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Everybody is confused, even the HO, Get another bid or 4

Don't know about the grout. I had Dura Ceramic installed in my kitchen without the grout. The grout for this tile is special. This tile is a composite tile that uses special glue and special grout. It does not use thinset. I doubt that it would install directly over linoleum and retain the mfg warranty. My installer put in a new 1/4" underlayment floor and the cost was no where near your quote. I would get another quote and make sure you understand what they are going to do a warrant. FWIW this product seems a bit fragile to sharp points. Since it is a composite, if you poke a hole in the tile, the crushed limestone sandwiched in the center shows through pretty noticeably.
LJ

Duraceramic tile is some sort of fake tile.
http://www.congoleum.com/pdf/duraceramic_install.pdf