Cost of trailer heater tape?

Page 1 of 2
Guy across the street from me had his water freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip. He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them. They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater tape, under his trailer.
What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know, never had it done.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/04/2014 05:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why didn't you ask him?
On 2/4/2014 6:15 PM, philo wrote:

I did ask him. I think he got reamed, and counter sunk. But, I don't want to reveal what he says he paid, until I get a couple prices from this list.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

30 feet is $50 at Home Despot. 60 watts, thermostatically operated (comes on at 38F - protects to -40-ish. So he's looking at $100 in parts
In the USA Lowes has 30 foot 210 watt +/- for about $40.
If he paid less than $200 he didn't get hosed too bad. Add any plumbing repairs and $300 would still be a good price.
On 2/4/2014 11:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thank you for the on topic reply. I'm going to read replies for another day or two.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Guy across the street from me had his water freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip. He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them. They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater tape, under his trailer.
What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know, never had it done.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
On 2/4/2014 10:40 PM, WW wrote:

Wish you had written something in the text body, instead of the signature box (which is automatically deleted). What did you say?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/05/2014 06:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here is what his cut off message says:
"My news reader is mis-configured and this section of my message has been cut off...so please ignore it."
To WW:
You have put your message below the delimiter and many news readers will not pick it up. If you want everyone here to see your words, place you message ABOVE the delimiter.
OK now here is what WW /actually/ said:
You have a computer and a telephone. Check the price of a 50 foot heater tape that has a thermostat on the end. Do NOT cover the thermostat when you wrap the heating part with insulation because the thermostat should work of air temperature. About 40 degrees will turn on.. WW .
On 02/04/2014 06:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Working under trailers is a pain in the ass. Often it is an even bigger problem to collect payment.
My absolute minimum *upfront* charge would start at $500.
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 05:18:50 -0500, Damning Dumass - Welfare TeaBillie

Big 10-4 on the getting paid. And the pain in the ass.
On 2/4/2014 5:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It wouldn't be unreasonable to charge extra for having to crawl under a trailer in weather like this. After all, your neighbor didn't want to do it himself. Assuming it took less than two hours to do the job, I wouldn't be surprised if the plumber charged $200-$300 for his labor, plus the cost of the tape.
On 02/05/2014 07:14 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote: X <snip> >

If the guy did a good job and at an affordable price it was worth it.
My boss used to say:
You waste more money by underpaying for an inadequate repair job than if you overpay for one that's done properly.
It's ok to admit things, but not on the internet where your kids and grandkids can find out everything that you don't want them to know about you!!!!
On 2/4/2014 6:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Says he called Roto Rooter "never an over time charge". They charged him $672.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/06/2014 06:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I am sure he could have found someone to do it for half that price... but if they did it absolutely right, then it's really no major big deal.
In the grand scheme of things , what's a couple of hundred bucks?
If he did not get it done and his pipes froze, he could have been out thousands.
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:14:01 AM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

That's why Stormin is pissed, he wanted it to be him... lol
Some missing factors are how long did it take?, two guys?, is that all they did?, and what agreement was there as to price before they started? There are a lot of factors in a job like this, everything from maybe digging out snow to get to the crawlspace, how accessible the pipes were, is it one straight run or 6 separate ones, was there an outlet to plug it in to, etc. If it's easy access, one straight run, outlet right there, it's going to be a lot easier and faster to do than if there are lots of obstacles. If it was relatively easy to do, then the price is steep.

He should have gotten a price for the job upfront. But it sounds like this was done in an emergency when he was probably lucky to find someone to do it at all. Even most of the heat tapes were all sold out during that deep freeze period. Which could also be a factor. It's possible the only heat tape left was some of the premium products and the heat tape may have cost $150 alone. Without knowing all the facts, impossible to say if it was fair or he got screwed. But for sure it's better than busted pipes.
On 02/06/2014 08:44 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

But for sure it's better than busted pipes.

Yep!
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 07:37:09 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Sounds like they don't NEED to charge overtime - - - -
On 2/6/2014 1:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's pretty much what I was thinking.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/06/2014 01:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you think an education is expensive, compare it to the cost of ignorance.