Cost of Toilet

A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does this sound reasonable? Thank you.

Reply to
Pat in Atlanta

If labor only, no. If the quote includes the fixture, possibly.

Reply to
HeyBub

It depends on the toilet. A cheap one sells for between $120 and $350. Requires about an hour of labor to swap it.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

NOPE. I'd say a hundred plus the cost of the toilet would be way past enough.

Steve Barker DLT

It takes 30 minutes to install one

Reply to
ransley

If a new install that rq running water supply and waste line, not bad. If replacing an existing fixture, a bit on the high side -- even if price includes the toilet fixture.

Reply to
Flatus Johnson

"Flatus Johnson" wrote

Agreed if it's a new one where lines have to be run (infact, could be good deal there depending on trap lines and if it's a slab or basement!).

If it's a replacement, depends on the situation a bit. Say cabinet work or other finishing needed might add up more so the 550$ may not be that far off if replacing with a wheelchair accessable one with rails (they tend to run closer to 350$ at cheapest and require more labor).

A normal install though to replace one, about 100-150$ here and includes haulage fees to the dump of the old one.

Reply to
cshenk

It's been a couple of years but my plumber charged $300 for a standard Toto and $400 for a higher quality one. With inflation, I would guess price is OK for a higher quality unit.

Reply to
Frank

I just bought an Eljer 091-0777 toilet $307 and the lid/seat $46. The $550 sounds low, so I would question the brand/model.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have replaced two. One took 20 minutes. $550 seems high. The other had thoroughly corroded bolts and was a real PITA. $550, maybe.

Reply to
jack

I tried to put back one that plumber had to remove to access pipes in wall. I discovered what a lot of first time toilet installers have discovered - if you torque down bolts too tight, you'll crack the porcelain, ruining the toilet. This is a plumbing job I now leave to the professionals.

Reply to
Frank

Need more information. A toilet can run from about $120 to $1000. Is he supplying both labor and fixture? The labor should be closer to $100.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think it's obscene! Walk into Home Depot and price a wax ring mounting kit. Measure the supply line that comes to the bottom of your toilet so you know what length line to get. Price a new gate valve to shut off the water supply to the toilet in case you need to replace the flush mechanism in the future. Then price the tank and bowl in the back of the store. It comes with new flush valve and parts to put the tank on the bowl. Store employee will help you find all these items and load them on a cart for you. Help you put it in the trunk of your car if need be.

Locate the water shutoff for the whole house so you can point it out when required.

Then look in the local newspaper for insured handyman service. Pick up the phone and get some prices to remove and install toilet. Accept no hourly rates, flat rate only. Let them know what you have for parts that you have purchased. Pick up some good rubber gloves and make that part of the offering but don't expect a discount because of the offer for this job.

I always make sure we have plenty of popsicles in the plastic tubes from dollar store that you freeze and sodas on hand in warm weather for handymen services that I've hired to trim trees or help around the house and am generous with keeping cold refreshments available at all times.

You may have to break up the old porcelain parts and bury them in the back yard if handyman has no way of disposal. He may help here also, so ask about disposal at time of quote. I had two toilets replaced and recommend getting as high a seat position as you can, so you don't feel as if you are getting up from the floor as you grow older if you don't have toddlers around. I got prices at Home Depot and Lowe's because they were across the street from each other. Home Depot was more reasonable at the time, but times change. YMMV.

Reply to
RLM

I just 'love' these posters who ask a question, don't provide enough information for a good answer, and then never respond to the thread with the information. Arrrggghhh

Reply to
Abe

We would charge you around $100 labor, + toilet and other materials. If we run into problems you pay $50.00 per hour to resolve them. Problems that we often run into are broken toilet floor flange, old galvanized pipes, too much caulking at the base of the toilet which could make it harder to remove.

We also have extra fees for P.I.A. customers and filthy bathrooms. If you have shit all over your toilet we may just leave-----Yes this happens to us.

We are located in Arizona.

cm

Reply to
cm

I wouldn't pay over $60.00 for a toilet and install it myself.

I haven't seen any difference between a $69.00 toilet and a $450.00 toilet.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Once you install a Toto you'll NEVER go back to a $69 toilet. You'll throw out your plunger, too.

I have 4 identical kohler 'wellworth' toilets in 3 different houses and they all cost $100 ea. Never used a plunger on any of them either.

Steve Barker DLT

How long ago did you pay $100?

Seems they are considerably more now.

Cheapest I've seen them is $156 and up to $450

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They were still a hundred and eighteen about 5 weeks ago. Last time i was at the big box. I'll check again tomorrow when i go for studs.

Steve Barker DLT