Cost of new home

How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county, Pa. I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay for the other house. ( like getting your house for free ) Does this make sense ?

Reply to
desgnr

Seven....in units of your choosing.

The words make sense. The idea is possible. The likelihood is less so. It takes pretty much twice as much risk, work and money to build two houses.

Maybe you should move with another herd...

RicodJour

Actually, with the cost of new and existing homes dropping, it is now around 6. If the OP is going to be the GC, it could be as low as 5.

.
Reply to
willshak

Are you factoring in tax incentives and GORP program revenue? ;)

We should give credit to the OP for at least including the location. It's a step up from the usual information-free question on the topic.

RicodJour

Vague...? Me? I don't think so. I think you've been out there in the cold for a long winter and this early in the year the sap hasn't made it's way up your trunk into your hat holder. :)~

It's 7. That's 7.0000 repeating.

Vague, indeed! Harummph!

RicodJour

Vague...? Me? I don't think so. I think you've been out there in the cold for a long winter and this early in the year the sap hasn't made it's way up your trunk into your hat holder. :)~

It's 7. That's 7.0000 repeating.

Vague, indeed! Harummph!

desgnr

Not when you have to borrow a dollar for a cup of coffee. Put a dollar in the S&P 500 today and double your money in 2-3 years. Are you risk tolerant enough to do it?

Reply to
Phisherman

forget the 5 and 7 and 6, those guys are making fun of your overly broad question if you want to know the cost to build, call your home insurance agent and get a quote and find out what level of coverage they want you to have. They will insure the cost to build a new structure.. and there you have your cost to build.

but, in todays market you can buy a "used" house for less than the cost to build a new one, so, your strategy would not work at all right now, maybe 8 years ago you could have, but, in the last 3... not so much.

The whole is less then the sum of its parts

sad

Reply to
Zephyr

Wow. For a moment there I thought I was reading the weather for Aruba. Yep, stay put, don't ever move. :)~

RicodJour

Between $55,000 and $1.6 million. Depends on the design and materials. Yes, those are ral numbers and your question is too vauge to even guess at.

It has been done, but I doubt you can easily do it today.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Cost of your bew house is $262,000.

Of course it makes sense.