Cost of Comcast running cable

Actrully, my cable is RG59 - bonded foil 7% braid - (F5967 BVV) - supplied and installed by rogers for digital TV and internet. When I had a distribution amplifier on my line I also had 50 volts DV on the coax.
On 8/30/2010 5:28 PM, HeyBub wrote:

RG-58 is never used for cable TV. Maybe you are thinking about RG-59 which used to be common but isn't used anymore because it has higher losses than the commonly used RG-6 or RG-11.

I don't believe 13 or 18 VDC (the voltages used to power the LNB depending on what antenna polarity is called for by the receiver) is capable of delivering a shock but it sure sounds like a great story.

RG59 is all Rogers is using in Canada now - not straight RG59, but with bonded foil and 65% braid.. It's heavy duty stuff.

Whatever voltage was on my cable with the amp would not shock you if you just grabbed on, but would give you a pretty good whollop when you disconnected it.

I know nothing about ComCast other than that they are a TON slower than RoadRunner, at least in CT. My DH was stuck in CT during a 6 month computer nerd contract, and for whatever reason, the complex he rented an apt. in would NOT allow RR, just CC. Well, they showed up on time, were very fast, but the connection was so HEINOUSLY SLOW, he realized that it was FASTER to stay home here in NY and use the RR connection instead of being just .5 miles from the site. He scrapped the apt and is now home 25 days a month and just rents a hotel on the few days necessary. Yes, if he is in an office in CT it's still 20% faster than if he's home in NY, but being in the apt. in CT was about 30% slower than being at home in NY, for free!
So...maybe comcast sucks, maybe not, but their service, in my DH's experience, is EPICALLY SLOW. Of course, YMMV.
tmclone wrote:

Evidently service varies dramatically depending on your location.
Standby one...
I just ran the speedtest.net test against our Comcast service and got:
Ping: 11 msec Download: 25.7 Mb/sec Upload: 2.37 Mb/sec