Cost of Comcast running cable

Page 3 of 4

Baloon construction. Fireman's nightmare.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Up till recently Dish was a good value company. As of Feb 1st 2010 that all changed.
extra receivers fees were jacked up from 5 or 7 bucks to 17 bucks, when you cancel service they charge you 15 bucks per receiver to mail back their leased receiver, if your leased receiver breaks during the time you have it they charge you for repairs.
their contract stated dish can change anything at any time. Channels are dropped often if its your familys favorite your stuck, they dont let you out of the contract and phone reps are no longer allowed to give credits to make people happy.
After being a sub for 13 years I cancelled over the fee jacking my bill went up 30 bucks overnight. I was a dealer for a while too, but given the new dish wouldnt recommend them to anyone. they have gotten greedy and the CEO admitted on his latest charlie chat were expensive keep sending us your paychecks. He appeared impaired on the air and the chat wasnt complete, it appears a technical person pulled the plug after what was being said on air....
incidently gross profit was way up, but they churned 750,000 subs last quarter and shrank by 19,000..... thats fewer subscribers people arent stupid
Its very sad seeing a once great company being ruined by beancounters greed, and management that appeared impaired on air......
Direct TVs extra receiver fees are still 5 bucks each, that reasonable.
I went back to cable, and got a TIVO, that and comcast on demand works great.
My bill was about 130 bucks a month for Dish before the fee jacking.
Now I am paying about 130 bucks for TV, Internet 16 meg down and a unlimited phone line
Dishes greed got me shopping a dumb thing to do with any customer.
Of the 750,000 churned subs it cost them about $700 bucks each to replace all those subs leaving
Dish stock will tank when the next quarters sub loss becomes public.......
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:30:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Nope - not balloon. Balloon requires LOOONG studs. In my house, for example, the center bearing wall is offset about 3 inches. To pull cable from top to bottom I tied a 3/8" nut on a peice of fishline and dropped it down the wall from the top.(beside a heat pipe) A bit of swinging it around and it went down onto the main-floor wall, till it hit the sill at floor level. Metal-detector type studd finder located the nut - I punched a hole up from the basement into the wall, stuch a mechanics magnetic pickup wand up the hole and pulled the nut down through, tied on the cable and pulled it up.
About an hour's work, and no holes in the drywall. Choosing a stud bay that had piping in it made sure I did not need to contend with cross-ties (aka fire-stops)

So, someone Riddle me this.. If I put the dish in the right place and run on cable to the attic where I have the signal splitter for the cable, why can't I just distriute the dish that way?
and name it after the IRS.
On 8/28/2010 20:39, Kurt Ullman wrote:

The key point here is to have cable "home runs" from a central distribution point to each TV. With satellite you need a switch rather than a splitter, but the distribution remains the same with one exception -- many Dish DVRs can accommodate two TVs with one or two cables from the outside receiving dish to the DVR, and another to the second TV. So you may want to run multiple cables to your primary TV from the central distribution point.

You need the dish to go straight to the tuner but.... If you have "DISH" the tuner box will output a signal on an F connector that you can use to distribute the signal around the house on a cable channel (one channel for each tuner) and the dual tuner model comes with an RF remote that works just about anywhere in the house. I have two dual tuners which gives me four virtual channels (73, 75, 77, 79 that reflect each of the 4 tuners plus ch3 for the output of my Replay TV), all available on any TV in the house. By playing with the RTV inputs that can also be the DVD player or the RF converter for local channels not on the Dish.
I couldn't do anything like that with cable, at least not without renting 6 boxes.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

The receiver has to go between the dish and the splitter, unless you want to mess with multiple receivers and the usual added expense for those. IIRC, you have to use some fancy splitter to feed multiple receivers from a single dish. Most splitters won't pass the control signals and voltages back upstream properly. I recommend lurking over in the alt.dbs.* groups for a while- the real satt wizards hang out over there.
--
aem sends...

The "DISH" installers will give you a special splitter that will let you hang TVs on the line that goes to the dish. I chose too run straight to the tuners and use my existing Comcast cables for distribution behind the tuners.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You can't distribute like that with a dish.
The dish is an electronic device and has power (about 50 volts if memory serves) flowing through the connecting cable. In other words, the wire from the dish to the converter box is not just TV signals, there's two-way electronic communication between the converter box and the LNB (low-noise block downconverter). The LNB is an electronic amplifier.

Dish Network does have a splitter that will let you use the drop from the LNB to also distribute the output of the tuner. I am not sure what it does but I assume the "TV out" balun just won't propagate the voltage component to the TVs.
If you have a handful of Dish hardware, it is the red one.

You can, and should. Assuming the cable is up to snuff - And more likely to be OK running the dish on cable from cable provider than the other way around IF there was a problem.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The OP used the magic word "dish."
You can do what you suggest with cable TV service (i.e., Comcast, Time-Warner). You cannot do it with satellite TV (i.e., DirectTV or Dish Network).

Why not? You would need to change the "splitter" but why not use the cable?
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Because the wire from the satellite dish to the receiver does not carry only RF signals. It also carries command information and about 50 volts. The satellite dish is NOT just an antenna that grabs signals from the air and conveys them to a receiver; it is an active electronic device.
Without proper additional electronics, tapping into the wire going to the dish would be equivalent to multiple walkie-talkies on the same channel. Or worse.
A better analogy might be a multi-station intercom system with everybody having and open mike.

Is it different cable than cable tv uses? If not, you can use it. Mabee only one outlet at a time, but that would be true whatever cable you used, and no matter how it was installed, not???
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Generally, yes. Cable uses RG-58 and Satellite uses RG-6. The cables are mostly interchangable however (they differ in some electrical characteristics).

You can move the satellite cable connection from one receiver to another - if you're careful to avoid being shocked (remember, the satellite cable carries upwards of 50 volts).
wrote:>> Is it different cable than cable tv uses?

Unless it is an unusual system, neither satellite or cable ever used RG-58 . That is a 50 ohm cable and usually 70 ohm cable is used for both systems. Perhaps you mean RG-59. That cable is not used anymore by most systems. Just about everything has switched to the RG-6 type cable. It is a low loss cable of 70 ohms. There are several versions of it depending on the ammount of shielding.
The cable system needs beter shielding than satellite systems. This is to keep all the signals in the cable and to keep signals out of the cable.
All the unused connectors in the rooms or splitters should be terminated or capped off with the special resistor type terminators. There are several reasons for this.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

You are right. Thanks for the correction.
On 8/30/2010 4:54 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Ummm, I thought RG-59 and RG-6 was 75 ohm impedance cable? At least it was the last time I checked. Actually, RG-59/U runs 72-75 ohm impedance.
TDD
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:00:46 -0500, The Daring Dufas

RG59 is spec'd as 75 ohm