cost of basement remodeling?

I own a suburban townhouse near Washington, DC, and I am planning to have my basement remodeled. It's unfinished now, so the project will involve putting up drywall, building a bathroom with a stall shower, basic electrical and flooring. The bath is already roughed in, although the shower drain will need to be moved a few feet for the job.
Can anybody give me a rough idea of what this should cost (with a contractor)? I was expecting it to be in the $10,000 range, inclusive. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net writes:

Dimensions? Oddities?
I did something similar with a 30' x35' foot space. Came to about $20.
All new electrical, adding some HVAC ducts, new plumbing/drains for toilet and shower. Had to box in some low-hanging existing ductwork. Four doors (replace exterior, new construction for bath, mechanicals room, and office). 12' built in cabinet/entertainment center. Exterior walls studded out and drywalled. Tiled bathroom and hallway/landing, two exterior windows, and a couple of other details which escape me now. Everything but the finish painting, including fixtures was covered.
The contractor was a friend of mine so I don't know if he cut me a deal, but he seemed satisfied with his profit and we with his work.
Best,
Marc
On 29 Feb 2004 09:40:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MrAoD) wrote:

$20? Where?

The basement dimensions are about 23 x 21 feet, not very large. Nothing else stands out, it's your basic unfinished townhome basement.
I assume you meant $20/sq. ft.
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@suds.com wrote in message writes:

Actually it was $20K,or just under, so for roughly 900 sq ft, yeah.
That included a stacked washer/dryer at $1000, upscale bathroom finish and fixtures, and good tilework.
Couple of the add-ins I forgot were three new interior walls to create the office, bathroom and hallway.
Dunno if my guy's in still in business - he became a father about 3 years ago so he went for a job with health benefits.
Marc

Seems a bit thin to me. Especially if you are having a general contractor do this. I assume you are doing more than just a bathroom. Will you need additional framing and insulating done? What about a HVAC to install additional heating and return ductwork that may be required by code. Then there is the electrical service, the plumbing, drywall, millwork, and the cost of fixtures for your bathroom. The add in a profit for the GC. Seems like a lot to ask for $10,000. No way to know but to get a few bids, and go from there. Just thinking it's a bit much to expect in your price though.
On 28 Feb 2004 19:49:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (base8) wrote:

Can't tell you what it would cost in Washington, DC.
Can tell you what it would cost in Calgary, Canada where I am a renovations contractor.
Normal basement, done to code, new home construction quality, medium builder grade materials, 700 to 800 s.f. finished area including stairwell. Somewhere between 19 and 22 thousand dollars Canadian.
To help you convert that to US dollars, your area -- a sheet of drywall 4 x 8 here is $8-9, decent quality Berrber carpet is $1.50 s.f., decent laminate flooring is $3 - 4 s.f. A one piece fibreglass shower unit is $680.
Ken

$10K? Sounds fairly low.
As a comparison, we had about 800 sq feet of basement remodeled in Upstate NY last year. It included all framing/drywall/etc, reworking the HVAC ducts, installing a full bath ( including breaking the slab to run plumbing and install an ejector pump ), foundation cuts to install an egress window, all finishing, etc. Total came to about $25K. Now it's the nicest room in the house. ;-)

This sounds like a pretty realistic figure on roughly 1000sqft for people who don't live in places where things aren't wildly expensive as it is. We have a 1200sqft basment, and it cost us about $7,000 for labor and materials to turn just *half* of it into liveable rec room and office/small bedroom space. This included brick wall re-cut and three new hopper windows installed, DriCore panels for subfloor, drywall and insulation over cement foundation/brick walls, two new interior walls and closets put up, mud and tape of the new drywall, 2x2s to install drywall over exposed ceiling joists, new copper water heat pipe and baseboards, can lights, running new electrical to the circuit box, wood for bookshelves, several gallons of wall and ceiling paint, three new luan closet and doorway doors, and cheapie laminate flooring from Sam's. As well as a few basic-necessity tools that I'd never had to own before I owned a house, like a circular saw, a jig saw, a 4" angle grinder, hydraulic cement and 5 gallons of rubber paint-on membrane over the hydro cement to remedy the majority of our below-grade seepage, and a lot of other little crapola that nickels and dimes you to death. We got off pretty cheap on the construction labor because the contractor's a friend of the family that my wife inisisted on using, and we basically got what you pay for from such "good deal" from family friend contractors with other jobs in the wing. The construction itself was solid and the room's now the nicest one in the house, but nowhere near the attention a really good contractor should pay to detail, IMO.
Since the other half of the basement includes much of the same sort of work and a gutted half-bath that's now nothing more than a toilet in the middle of a room, so I expect to pay somewhere around twice as much for the remaining 600sqft because nothing drives you to the poorhouse faster than kitchens and baths.
AJS
Sounds about right. Is your basement 300sq'? That should do it at about $30-35/sq'.