cost for...

What can I expect to pay for running a gas line for the dryer when the meter is right on the other side of the [garage] wall where the dryer will be? Literally, the dryver will be less than three feet from it.

The estimates I got range from $600 to $300 which just sounds ridiculous.

Thanks.

Reply to
Anonymous

From a legitimate contractor that is insured just in case?

About $450..I wont touch something like this for less, and the reason why? I will be there for about 2 hours...2 X $150 = 300. Parts: T for gas line, prob 1 X 1 X 1/2, $1, Nipple for flex fitting, 50 cents, SST fitting, $14 X

2= 24, Up to 10 feet of SST, $100, PVC and sealant for gas line into home, about $5. Permits, $50 (yes, we have to pull permits here for this, and for damn good reason.) There is $475 and we have not gotten to the secondary regulator, about $85, and the approved gas line valve for shut off, another $10. $570 now...

The labor costs include things like, fuel to get there, get your parts, pull your permits, time, insurance, wear and tear on vehicle, gas line thread sealants, workers comp, vehicle insurance, advertising, and all overhead costs to stay in biz.

Depending on the attitude you give the guy when he gets there and starts talking price, your quote may vary. It could be less, or it could be more.

Reply to
CBHvac

How can it be ridiculous if that is what the estimates are? I knew someone who took his house off the market after a year because no one would offer what it was worth. Same concept.

Learn to do it yourself; its not brain surgery.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Yes, unlike you.

Oh shut the f*ck up you blowhard sob. You're as full of shit as a xmas goose..

Reply to
Clitus Mishap

think if you had a few hand tools, and a visit to a box, you should be able to do this yourself for about $30 to $60

bill

Reply to
mcameron

thats why you have to do it yourself... buy the tools and the pipe at the hardware store and spend about $50 tops and still have the tools left over when the job is finished.....

Reply to
jim

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Troll nowadays.

Remember when you had to have a slip connection to properly forge the path?

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Yup...what used to be real fun was bouncing off all those overseas servers....looked like you were posting from Afganistan..(not really..LOL) or someplace.

Course...this entire thing brings back memories of that guy in NYC.....

NOI

Reply to
CBHvac

The dryer will be IN the garage?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Heh. I still can.

Yeah, and that whole thing really blew up in his face, as you remember...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Yes. Vented to the outside. Lots of washers and dryers in the garages here in Ca.

So I can do this myself. I thought you had to be licensed to work on a gas line.

Reply to
Anonymous

In CA, not sure but down here...you do.

Reply to
CBHvac

In most places you do. It may be possible to run the line and have the licensed plumber do the tie in tot he existing line. You may also have to apply for a permit and have it inspected.

In the past, I've done it myself. I know hot to do piping so it was not a big deal for me. If you have no idea what end of a wrench to hold, you are better off calling a pro. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

C'mon. You turn off the gas. You tap into the line downstream from the shutoff. You run some black pipe. Add a couple of shutoff nineties, and a union, and you got it. I did the same thing at my house, and only paid for parts. Ace or HD will cut the pipes and thread them for you if you need anything other than standard lengths.

Pay attention to details, make your joints up tight, test with soapy water.

You probably can do it for less than $100. It ain't rocket science, but you will be betting your house on it. DO IT RIGHT.

I get aggravated when someone who is driving a 25 year old beater truck, who needs a new pair of shoes, and some toothpaste wants $600 for a job that will take $100 in materials and two hours labor.

CAVEAT: With all work, if you don't think you can do it, call a pro.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

chopped some off da top..

Cletus here.

That is the most common sense I had seen here so far. If you have common sense and watch some guy with the "truck" do some stuff for you, for 5 times what the work is worth, you'll be kicking yourself in the shin.

Indeed there is a lot of that stealing going on. Alarming.

Thanks for the words of clarity on this.

Cletus

Reply to
CletusMilsap

Ridiculous until you realize that people need to make a living.

Reply to
DaveG

As do I. Throwing money away is not the way to do it. If people want to get more jobs running gas lines, maybe they better charge something more commiserate with the job, or they can lose money by people like myself coming here to say "what gives?" finding out it's a DIY'er, and doing it myself. Now your guy who "needs to make a living" gets no money at all, instead of a fair price.

That's just how I see it. If they'd said it'll be $150 (for example), I'd say "do it." For $300 and up, I start looking elsewhere. The dryer costs that much!

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Kenny

Reply to
Anonymous

Yeah, they also need to pay for their daughter's wedding, like the guy who asked $450 to install a wood stove insert. Same guy asked $150 last year for the same job. Goddamn asshole.

Yeah but that means you'd have to find a decent person. I don't think there are too many of them left in this world of thieves...

Reply to
Todd