Cost comparison of DIY radiant heat vs professional gas furnace installation

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message news:DLydneN-Me66XBvenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com...

such rude remarks say a lot about you.... not impressive. You can do better than that. The man you replied to offered good research and a good solution.

On the alt.hvac situation, I agree... I had never run into such a bunch of abusive appliance repair people in my life...when I tried to show them the high of the HVAC business (industrial systems etc they faded or just got more abusive.)

Phil Scott Mech Engr.

Reply to
Phil Scott

Oh, fearless leader, show us the wisdom of your infinite knowledge.

Right after you pull your head out of your ass.

Reply to
.p.j.m

What kind of details do you want?

Radiant is cheaper to operate, but not anywhere near as cheap to install. You can have radiant cooling, but the surface temps have to be above the dew point.

I think the OP is in Canada. They won't have quite the cooling needs as someone in Miami...

Reply to
HeatMan

[

Dilbert.Blog by Scott Adams

A few days ago I invited the readers of my blog to tell me why I'm stupid. The results are in.

If you are new to the Internet, allow me to explain how to debate in this medium. When one person makes any kind of statement, all you need to do is apply one of these methods to make it sound stupid. Then go on the offensive.

  1. Turn someone's generality into an absolute. For example, if someone makes a general statement that Americans celebrate Christmas, point out that some people are Jewish and so anyone who thinks that ALL Americans celebrate Christmas is stupid. (Bonus points for accusing the person of being anti-Semitic.)

  1. Turn someone's factual statements into implied preferences. For example, if someone mentions that not all Catholic priests are pedophiles, accuse the person who said it of siding with pedophiles.

  2. Turn factual statements into implied equivalents. For example, if someone says that Ghandi didn't eat cows, accuse the person of stupidly implying that cows deserve equal billing with Gandhi.

  1. Omit key words. For example, if someone says that people can't eat rocks, accuse the person of being stupid for suggesting that people can't eat. Bonus points for arguing that some people CAN eat pebbles if they try hard enough.

  2. Assume the dumbest interpretation. For example, if someone says that he can run a mile in 12 minutes, assume he means it happens underwater and argue that no one can hold his breath that long.

  1. Hallucinate entirely different points. For example, if someone says apples grow on trees, accuse him of saying snakes have arms and then point out how stupid that is.

  2. Use the intellectual laziness card. For example, if someone says that ice is cold, recommend that he take graduate courses in chemistry and meteorology before jumping to stupid conclusions that display a complete ignorance of the complexity of ice.
]
Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Now give Weasel his book back, he'll be lost without it.

Reply to
.p.j.m

I saw an odd installation in Clearwater Florida, a group of offices, above the suspended ceiling was a direct expansion net work of copper tubes (freon inside) running at about 35 degrees, and convecting cold air through grid panels in the ceiling into the room, drip pans under the runs of pipe to collect the condensate.. but have cost 3x what standard system would.

Correct. In SF calif. virtually all commercial buildings need HVAC, but most homes doint even some high end homes...so... they suffer a few days a year is all.

same in ontario Im sure.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

I'll bet there was more to that one. I can imagine the mold/mildew problem.

San Francisco? The bride and I were there for the 4th of July a coupla years ago. We saw the fireworks over the bay. We also nearly seemed to freeze our bottoms off...

Probably.

Reply to
HeatMan

Ontario has some hot and humid summers, it's quite unbearable without air conditioning.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle

a heat pump will be your most economical move...

a packaged heat pump the cheapest most reliable option and you can install that yourself.. but be sure the ducts are large enough and sealed well and well insulated. Buy the high efficiency model. Rheem is a good buy for the money. Simplest also. Easy to repair.

Thats cheapest heating / cheapest install.

To cut operating costs further, grossly oversize the ducts so that you can shut down the bedrooms during the day etc when not in use and living room areas at night... (via motorized dampers)

or install two smaller heat pumps, one for each separate area.

(you get redundancy that way too)... you can use portable electric heaters for back up if and when the heat pump needs repair or replacement.

If you want ultra cheap operation look into ground source heat pumps (personally I think the install costs offsets the net savings though and is more complex to maintain)

Dirt cheap are chinese window mounted heat pumps, but mounted low in the wall instead. one in each room.

Through the wall split system heat pumps (wall mounted air handlers) are nice...but expensive. and you have wall units to look at.

Phil Scott Mechanical Engineer, HVAC contractor

Reply to
Phil Scott