Corsair AC unit squeaks loudly

I'm very naive on this issue. I just bought a home with a Corsair AC which intermittently squeaks loudly (never when the AC person is here). It always cools. It tends to squeak more often when just starting or stopping, but sometimes continually. Sometimes, when it squeaks while stopping, there is a "whoosh" sound at the end.

Is there any way I can tell if it's the blower fan or the compressor? What will eventually happen in either case?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

whoosh is normal - not a problem compressors don't "squeak" but blower fans do, and so do condenser fans, when bearings are failing or out of lubrication

Reply to
cowboy

Hi Jack, hope you are having a nice day

On 20-Jun-05 At About 11:17:38, Jack Sandweiss wrote to All Subject: Corsair AC unit squeaks loudly

JS> From: Jack Sandweiss

JS> I'm very naive on this issue. I just bought a home with a Corsair AC JS> which intermittently squeaks loudly (never when the AC person is JS> here).

This could be one of several things. it could be a motor or it could be an internal compressor relief etc...

JS> It always cools. It tends to squeak more often when just JS> starting or stopping, but sometimes continually. Sometimes, when it JS> squeaks while stopping, there is a "whoosh" sound at the end.

This is ok if it is a heat pump. if it isn't a heat pump this is leaniung towards a bad compressor.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

This is Turtle.

Corsaire was the original old name for Rheem up till the early 1960. Then it was change to Rheem Manufatoring co. . then in the late 1990's Rheem went back to making the Corsaire brand as a 4 th brand to sell. Rheem , Ruud, WeatherKing, and Corseaire .

If it is the old model Corseaire from the 50's you really need to replace it but if not oil the motor for it has oil holes on the fan motor.

If it is the newer model made in the 1990's and 2000's it don't have oil holes and you need to just change the motor out. Now the check to see because the New Corseaire condensers have a 5 year warranty on all parts like the Rheem equipment.

Also I'm not sure they make the Corseaire in the years 05 or 04 but will check to see. I can be off on my years for time gets away from me.

So before closing out here. I would Oil the motor and check the bearing for slack.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I've received two somewhat contradictory answers. Can anyone reconcile them?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

The unit is 4 years old. The blower fan is "self-lubricating" if this helps. Where is the "condenser fan"? Would that be in the attic or the unit outside?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

outside

the BIG fan, usually on the top of the unit

Reply to
cowboy

Thank you all for the replys. This house was built in 2001, and it has a "self-lubricating" fan motor.

If I can be certain, that it's NOT the compressor, I could have the fan motor replaced for around $300, and would do that. We are not the original owners, so any guarantee would probably not apply. Is there any way to rule out a compressor problem?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

Jack,

The Whoosh is the reversing valve of the heat pump changing from cooling position to heating position & is normal. The squeak is most likely the outdoor (condensor) fan motor. It could be a cabinet squeak, but not likely. I have never heard a hermetic (Tin Can) compressor make that kind of noise (Squeak). Try oiling the outdoor motor if it has ports. Use 20 or 30 grade non-detergent motor oil. If you use detergent motor oil, eventually the oil evaporates, leaving the detergent to lubricate the motor, which it won't. But of course that will take several years.

The blower motor refers to the motor that moves air through the ducts.

Hope this helps

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Yes, Stretch, this helps a lot. The outdoor motor does not have ports, so I will probably have it replaced. You have helped greatly with definitions.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

It is now squealing almost constantly and intermittently "whooshing". The whooshing is no longer present only when I turn it off. Question---If the squealing is associated with reduced rpm's of the condenser fan, could that reduction bring about the whooshing? It still appears to cool just fine, but is very noisy, and would wake up the neighborhood if I had it on at night. I'll probably just have the fan replaced and see if that fixes it, but am I risking further damage if I continue to run it this way until I can have the job done?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

I answer most questions by private e-mail. and nothing pisses me off more than to go to the trouble of typing out an answer and then being told that the security features of the person requesting help make it impossible to send said mail. I hope your e-mail will still be secure when the pressure relief valve in your compressor finally fails due to continued opening and you have to replace the whole unit.

Reply to
Eric Houkal

No, it is a separate AC outside. I have an Apollo (water) heating system, but, AFAIK, that is totally independent of the AC. I've been told by many that the whoosh is normal on shutdown of the AC. But, now it is occuring intermittently during operation, with or without an accompanying squealing, which sounds to me like a motor that needs oil. I know about motors, but not AC units. The squealing has a "revolving" rhythm to it. The fan is "self-lubricating".

I'm trying to avoid buying an entire new unit, if, replacing the condenser motor is all it needs. Thanks for your reply.

Jack (fortunately, it's a cool day in OR)

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

Thanks for the reply. I'll have the HVAC man come out. But, could a failing condenser fan, bring about the relief valve problem?

Jack Sandweiss

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

and we're not the first

Aren't the parts still under warranty? These HVAC guys trash the Goodman units and they warranty thier parts for 5 years.

Reply to
Kathy

Hi Jack, hope you are having a nice day

On 26-Jun-05 At About 06:42:22, Jack Sandweiss wrote to All Subject: Re: Corsair AC unit squeaks loudly---new symptoms

JS> From: Jack Sandweiss

JS> Thanks so much for the quick reply. Well, I guess it's my gamble. The JS> total time it has operated with the intermittent whooshing has been JS> about 5 hours. One final question, if you don't mind: Can the relief JS> valve be separtely replaced, or is it part of the compressor? JS> I'm trying to determine if I should have the fan and relief valve JS> replaced as an alternative if that is a possibility. And, if you're JS> saying that there should be NO whoosh after turning it off, then JS> that might indicate to me, that the valve is already damaged, JS> or is this poor logic.

The valve is internal to the compressor and cannot be replaced separately. The only way you will hear the noise is if the pressure is too high or if it is a heat pump you will get the noise when the unit shuts off when it is A/C mode.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Thank you very much. I'll have an HVAC repairman come out today.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

Kathy-thanks for the relevant question. Unfortunately, we checked and it's about 3 months past warranty (5 years), but I'll call the prior service company today, and perhaps I can get a break.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

Hi Jack, hope you are having a nice day

On 25-Jun-05 At About 10:27:18, Jack Sandweiss wrote to All Subject: Re: Corsair AC unit squeaks loudly---new symptoms

JS> From: Jack Sandweiss

JS> It is now squealing almost constantly and intermittently "whooshing". JS> The whooshing is no longer present only when I turn it off. JS> Question---If the squealing is associated with reduced rpm's of the JS> condenser fan, could that reduction bring about the whooshing? JS> It still appears to cool just fine, but is very noisy, and would JS> wake up the neighborhood if I had it on at night. I'll probably JS> just have the fan replaced and see if that fixes it, but am I JS> risking further damage if I continue to run it this way until I can JS> have the job done?

Is this a heat pump?

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2