correct sprinklers for arborvitae

I am putting 7 arborvitae plants about 2 feet tall between the concrete patio and a fence in my backyard (total length 22 feet). I have an existing sprinkler pipe with 2 risers and shrub heads running along the same length, in the dirt along the edge of the concrete patio. I have 2 questions: 1) What are the proper heads I need for these arborvitae? Does the entire plant need to be watered or just the roots? 2) I would like to relocate the sprinkler pipe from in front of the plants to the back, along the fence so you can't see the risers and heads. It is easy since the existing pipe is only 1 inch below the surface. Any pros or cons to doing this?
Mikepier wrote:

arborvitae are next to weeds. They don't require much care at all. I just trim mine once a year to shape them, and if it has been a bad winter I know the snow off. No watering, no fertilizer. Quick growing, nearly ideal plants.
"arborvitae are next to weeds. They don't require much care at all. I just trim mine once a year to shape them, and if it has been a bad winter I know the snow off. No watering, no fertilizer. Quick growing, nearly ideal plants. "
I'd agree with that, for the average US climate. Of course, if he's in AZ, that's another story. They will need to be receive water at least once a week for the first year though.
Mikepier wrote:

You can change the risers and put soaker heads in, if you like. For the sake of maintenance, it would be easier to keep the pipe along the patio. Digging behind a row of shrubs to repair a broken pipe or head would not be fun. For most plants, it is not rec. to water the foliage. Put water on the roots, and mulch to retain moisture and keep weeds down.