Correct distance from floor for baseboard trim

Hi

I am finishing my basement, and will soon be on the millwork. The floor is concrete, if that matters. I want to install the baseboard before the carpet goes down. How far above the floor is correct for baseboard. Someone I know suggested using the width of the baseboard for the height. Thought I'd ask you guys also.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

Maybe I'm missing something? (that's happened on rare occasion ) but...

The baseboard should go down to the floor, no??? Your baseboard doesn't hold down the edge of your carpet, the quarter round (that you put on after the carpet is in) does that.

I can't think of any other reason you would want to leave a gap there. If you do (leave a gap) and the carpet is considerably lover than the gap, you're going to have a devil of a time with nailing the quarter round, you'll be hitting air.

JMHO.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Depending on the type of carpet and its method of install. For pile type carpet installed with the wood tack strips, I normally use 1/2". Note your concrete floor may not be flat, you will have to average it out while still allowing enough space to tuck the carpet in over the high spots.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Back in the days of red and black shag carpeting we were holding it up a full inch. I think that might be a bit much for today's carpeting, but it is subject to carpet strip, carpet thickness, etc.

The floor is

How far above

using the

Reply to
DanG

You don't normally use quarter round with carpet, as it is normally nailed to the floor and would be difficult to install over the carpet tack strips, especially over concrete.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

A common practice is to raise the base about 3/4" using scrap pieces of the base material (most base is 3/4" in thickness). With a 1/2" pad and a standard thickness carpet the carpet can be tucked nicely under the base.

Reply to
Bruce

Best to ask the carpet installer. As mentioned the type of carpet is important. I usually leave 3/4" and it works well. I guess that is about the width of a base board.

Reply to
calhoun