Correct distance from floor for baseboard trim

Hi
I am finishing my basement, and will soon be on the millwork. The floor is concrete, if that matters. I want to install the baseboard before the carpet goes down. How far above the floor is correct for baseboard. Someone I know suggested using the width of the baseboard for the height. Thought I'd ask you guys also.
Thanks.
Dave
DaveG wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something? (that's happened on rare occasion <g>) but...
The baseboard should go down to the floor, no??? Your baseboard doesn't hold down the edge of your carpet, the quarter round (that you put on after the carpet is in) does that.
I can't think of any other reason you would want to leave a gap there. If you do (leave a gap) and the carpet is considerably lover than the gap, you're going to have a devil of a time with nailing the quarter round, you'll be hitting air.
JMHO.
--
If u want the races for free,

Depending on the type of carpet and its method of install. For pile type carpet installed with the wood tack strips, I normally use 1/2". Note your concrete floor may not be flat, you will have to average it out while still allowing enough space to tuck the carpet in over the high spots.

A common practice is to raise the base about 3/4" using scrap pieces of the base material (most base is 3/4" in thickness). With a 1/2" pad and a standard thickness carpet the carpet can be tucked nicely under the base.
Back in the days of red and black shag carpeting we were holding it up a full inch. I think that might be a bit much for today's carpeting, but it is subject to carpet strip, carpet thickness, etc.

important. I usually leave 3/4" and it works well. I guess that is about the width of a base board.