Corner gets driven over - how to stop?

Page 3 of 4

HeyBub wrote:

LMFAO!!!
Jon
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 05:26:52 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

Hmm, I like the Cortina they snuck in there... :-)
HeyBub wrote:

I love that one, it's the one I send to all my Liberal friends.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I wonder if we could reduce to a convenient, laminated, wallet-sized card?
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:16:56 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

That is right on. I have an old book that talks about how to make these. Basically you use a paper mache wrapper around some rough gravel (similar to fish tank gravel) and the filler is potassium chlorate and sulfur (60:40 as I recall) AKA fulminating powder When the mixture gets ground up between the rough rocks it "fulminates" (goes bang). You can also get this stuff to go off if you hit it with a hammer or similar implement. I suspect it is also what was in "caps" (as in cap gun). I guess you have to be old to know what that was.
Zootal wrote:

Hi, I live on a corner lot too. As soon as I moved there planted dense cottneaster hedges about 3.5 feet(legal max. height re: driver's field of view) No one drives over curb.
Zootal wrote:

Official looking sign:
NO RIGHT TURN
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:14:34 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

"Caution: land mines"
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:37:44 -0600, Jules

Folks around here don't (or can't) read signs. I have proof.

pic:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic%z03eu&s=6
Wins for creativity.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Looks like they are driving over he water. What is the arrow on the driveway (a pointer for gas line?)? Call the utilities and suggest there is a danger and may get worse.

Too many different rules, regulations, involved utilities and land ownership to be able to give advise via newsgroups. You really need to check with all parties involved to find out where you stand in regards to liability, responsibility and culpability.

What he said. But I said it a while back. The OP's first question should have been at City Hall in his town.
Steve

True, especially erecting anything permanent. Meantime, I'd put a trashcan on the corner, or a bucket with sand and a 2 x 4 sticking up. Anything that is visible and not very damaging to a passing car it they do hit it. No one will be injured. It may be just enough for drivers to be more careful and turn properly.
wrote in message

2x4 might go thru someones windshield if they hit it.

Maybe one of those flexible white plastic pipes like the Highway Dept uses on roadsides,that you can drive over and they just spring back,they have a reflector or reflective finish on them.They don't damage your car(maybe painted bumpers) if you drive over one,but will make a "thump".
They get used in turn lanes,to keep cars from being able to change back into thru lanes after a certain point.
Or,you could "borrow" one of those highway "sawhorse" barriers with the flashing light on top.... B-)
leave it on the corner like some construction work is ongoing.
another thought;put in some 1"x2"x4 foot stakes and wind some yellow "danger" tape (like police use at crime scenes) around the stakes,make people think there's some hole or repair work going on there.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
wrote in message

I notice those same flexible pipes around town. Not sure, but it seems like homeowners request them from the town. It doesn't seem like Public Works drives around to scout out where install them. Becuase I see some with one marker and another house with millions of them. There are plenty of other places where the markers could be installed, but they aren't there.

It's not your land and it is VERY unlikely you will be able to do or put anything there...Find something else to fret about....

buffalo ny: i own a corner rental house. here you are limited by ordinance so you do not obstruct the motorists view even with your landscaping or bushes back to specified distance from an intersection. there are several different issues for you on this. there is a safety hotline such as call before you dig in many areas. it looks like your gas line is marked in yellow paint arrow. are both those pictured service plates from the same company? especially if that is gas service to your home i would ask them to have a routine look at it with their gas leak sniffer and make any recommendations to the company. if that second service plate is for a different utility or water, give them a call too or have your plumber look at it. is that the handicap wheelchair ramp to the sidewalk on the left? perhaps just hire your concrete contractor to fix this, perhaps simply widening the ramp and adjusting the curb cut a bit. the hidden damage underground below the two service covers would be of concern as well. at my property there was a sewer with a broken trap which they fixed when i figured it out. a retired good neighbor here previously found himself passing the time on his porch yelling at cars that don't come to a complete stop at the stop sign nearby; but when our street was closed due to construction for three months he learned to yell instead at the squirrels raiding the bird feeder. you might be obligated to put your municipality on written notice about this problem since it's their street. and maybe get one of those squirrelproof birdfeeders so you can laugh at the squirrels too.
On 01/19/2010 04:09 PM, Zootal wrote:

Lay a spike mat there. I call it people with licenses who cannot drive a vehicle.