cordless tools

I have a bunch of cordless tools purchased over the years from top of line Panasonic drills to junk Black & Deckers. Except for B&D they all worked pretty good when new but now all need batteries or will be needing it soon - different voltages, different companies and none are interchangeable. Part of my garage look like a repository for dead cordless tools. The cost for a new set of batteries are hard to justify even for the excellent Panasonic drills when a new and better model could be had for just a little more money than a set of batteries and charger. Do you keep on buying overpriced batteries, do you buy into an endless cycle of cordless (I'm such sucker for tools) or go back to corded tools (so reliable, almost indestructible, last forever and cheap when amortized over the years)?

Reply to
Fred

I have six sets od Ryobi batteries and all depleted within 2 to 3 years. If you work the Ryobi hard (and hot) like installing a fence or a deck with long screws the battery won't last over 6 months - properly the same with Panasonic but more so with Ryobi. Ryobi is good for the money but I wouldn't equate them as fine quality tools like Panasonic, Hilti or Milwaukee.

Reply to
Fred

DrPhil

Thanks for the heads up on the RC car racers. Are those old style chargers you were referring to? Mine won't let me charge when the battery is hot, and turn itself off when its fully charged so I could leave it in overnight or even over the weekend. It comes to the point to decide if I want to get some work done or baby the batteries - getting work done always come first. At one time I had 4 sets of the Ryobi batteries and two chargers running continuously and I was running out of batteries but my Panasonic with two sets of batteries and a factory 15 minute charger could work all day long without any interruptions. I know with a 15 minute fast charge the batteries won't last long (still lasted longer than the Roybi) but getting the work out is what its all about. The raw Panasonic batteries are pretty cheap at ebay and I'll get a few and rebuild my power packs when I have some time.

Reply to
Fred

Doesn't sound right, I would think even the 14.4V Ryobi should be stronger than a 12V Dewalt. The 18V should have some real arm breaking toque.

Reply to
Fred

Rechargable batteries can last a long time if you Don`t follow the manufacturers instructions, Mainly don't over charge, a warm pack is fully charged, the heat you feel is chemical energy being transformed into mechanical energy, heat, eating the cells, or only use a peak charger, don't leave pack charging on a charger. Don`t over discharge, when a tool just slows it is dead, stop or damage occurs even cell polarity reversal. Cycle a pack never recharge immediately, or hot after use, wait a day. Tool manufacturers make their big money selling you new batteries. I have Makita packs from 1986 that still get some use. I never ruined a pack yet and have maybe 15. The people that know cells and how not to abuse them are RC car racers, Usually good articles in RC car magazines. If you can open the pack get new Sanyos or Panasonics, the industries best cell manufacturers and solder them in using heat sinks and quick soldering, heat kills them

Reply to
m Ransley

My first cordless tools were Ryobis 5 years ago. The batteries are still fine.

I guess it pays to buy quality the first time.

Reply to
toller

I hate cordless tools. They cost a lot of money over the years and whats the point? A corded tool is cheaper, has more power, and dont die at the wrong moment, requiring you to stop the job till a battery charges. I bought a small generator for times when I cant get AC power. If you ask me, they are nothing but another way to make money. If you notice, they change the voltage every year or so, so you are stuck having to buy a new tool. unless you want to spend a fortune on "obsolete" batteries.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Reply to
Muff

Right, but then why did you buy Ryobi? I won't touch one of their tools again. IMO, they are crap but I' glad you are happy with yours. Batteries are junk after a year, switch needed to be replaced. Not worth it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

did i hear ryobi and top quality in the same sentence? i know i didnt. but i thought i did i have a old dewalt corded drill that will blow the socks off any of your POS cordless drills

Reply to
I R Baboon

Sure GerryAtric I wonder why the Makita 9.6 stick pack introduced in

80? Units are still sold and used today by pros, Because they work, I have 2 one purchased in 86 with original packs that still work. If you buy a tool be smart enough to stay in the line and same pack size, who wants to lug around a generator and cord everywhere.
Reply to
m Ransley

It is a problem.

My solution was to break open a battery pack when it failed and use a digital voltmeter to find the bad battery. Out of 10 cells, only one was defective so I replaced it, soldering in the replacement. Like new again.

They sell replacement cells, but you can just as easily salvage one of your 'spent' packs and use those batteries on all of your other tools.

It ain't purty, but it sure is stout.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

AGREED 100%

95% of the time an extension cord does the trick and is the source of nearly unlimited power.

I also have a small inverter and 12 V battery I can use when I need a portable setup...

Cordless are a waste.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Individual wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

It would be electrical energy being transformed into chemical energy,creating thermal energy(heat) in the process.

I would avoid any cordless tool that does not have a fast charger;one hour or less.(smart chargers)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

But the other 5% is sure is nice to have a cordless tool. Many people work on ladders, towers, great distances from electricity that just love cordless tools. Where I work, there is a 200' stack and the guys were doing maintenance up there with cordless tools. As for the other 95%, I still like the handy part of cordless. Don't like them, don't buy them. Your choice; that's what makes America great and keeps the Chinese tool makers in business.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Fact is, we didn't ask you. Many of us like the cordless drill in spite of the cost. I have two drills, circular saw, screwdriver.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Excellent point. My experience was my 14.4V cheap Ryobi had more torque than my 12V Panasonic - what was a surprise. Now a Panasonic is every bit and then some, in my opinion, as good as a Dewalt. Below is the torque found on the web 12V vs. 14.4V. Couldn't find the torque for the 18V Ryobi but if anything like the smaller 14.4V Ryobi it would kill the 12V Dewalt.

12V Dewalt 300 in-lb 14.4V Ryobi 350 in-lb
Reply to
Fred

Steve@carolinabreezehvac posted for all of us...

Sorta wonder what to buy anymore. Everybody seems to have the yellow brand but my experience was poor with them. Maybe snap up the old red stuff in stock. Haven't had a chance to destroy the line yet.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I really like my Panasonic drill, but I've had it less than a years so I can't say how well the batteries will hold up. The power to weight ratio is very good though. Easier to handle than my older lesser powered tool.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski