Cordless screwdriver recommendation.

Any recommendations an a good general use battery operated screwdriver? Something to use around the house with plenty of power.

Reply to
Mel

Frankly, I think they are more trouble than they are worth. If you have one that rests in a cradle between uses, so it's charged up, OK. Frankly, I like the "six way" screwdrivers that have 4 bits (2 flat, 2 Phillips) and 2 small sockets on them. CHeap enough that you can saturate the house with them. Black and Decker seems to make a good one. I had one at one time, and the battery wouldn't hold a charge after about a year. PITA.

Reply to
professorpaul

Because everyone wants "plenty of power" the battery screwdrivers of the 1980s have been mostly superseded by (variable speed) cordless drills.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I find them indispensable, with the combined Phillip's / straight tip, it is the first thing I pick up for small jobs. For tear down on something with lots of screws it can't be beat, I love it for switch plates and door knobs. I buzzed a refrigerator apart the other day to get to a top compressor defrost thermostat in less that 15 minutes. As to brand I like Skill the best because of the rocker switch, but Black & Decker is ok as well. Added perks; with the bit out it fits the hex screws in most computer cases, carburetor repair becomes easier without having to manually remove a dozen or so long fine thread screws.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

How about a small cordless drill? To use as a screwdriver, you need only a

9.6 or 12 volt and it will be light and have more power than a plain battery screwdriver.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mel,

We use a Bosch rechargable screwdriver. They are $129.00 at Lowes or HD. They are rated for 100 3" screws per charge. Comes with a spare battery, light weight, and a little led light turns on to light up the screw you are driving when you pull the trigger.

I previously owned the Dewalt screwdriver. $99.00 at HD or Lowes. It worked really well but the first time I dropped it, it broke in half and dropping is not covered under the warranty.

The Rigid by HD was rated very well in a recent magazine review. It is over $100

We use this type of tool almost every day, sometimes driving several hundred screws per day.

Good luck,

cm

cm

"professorpaul" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I saw a review in Wood Magazine Nov06 issue about 3 new Lithium-ion powered cordless screwdrivers,that retain a charge for a year without topping of.

2 were $40,and just simple palm drivers(Skil iXO and B&D Li3000),and the 3rd (Bosch PS-20)was similar to a cordless drill and had interchangable battery packs,so you have a spare.That one had more torque,was faster,and could also drill screwholes. It costs as much as a regular cordless drill/driver,though,$130.

I suspect eventually,the manufacturers will make replacement Li-ion packs and chargers for their newer NiCd and NiMH drills.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hi, I've been using De Walt one. Never had trouble yet.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I boughtg a Black and Decker and it works great uses those long round batteries which also fit my B&D Dust Buster and my B&D Emergency light/flashlights. So I get some use out of them (batteries) and they seem to last quite some time. Multi use is good for batteries and my pocket book. I bring the dustbuster with me in the MH along with one of the emergency light/flashlight when we hit the road.

L e e

Reply to
Lee

p.s

Also the batteries can be used in the larger B&D drill so I get plenty of use out of the batteries and have some to spare. Plus on some they give you a charger along with the product.

L e e

Reply to
Lee

Don,

I would say there are more rechargeable screwdrivers on the market today than back in the eighties. At least now some of them are worth owning/using.

cm

Reply to
cm

I have used this drill/screwdriver for several years. Probably not for pros but works like a charm for general household use. Can't beat the price. Most batteries are more than that.

Walter R.

Sears has one that is a great value at 29.99, and even less when on sale. It bends in the middle, has a clutch, and reversable action. It also has a tiny light that shines at your work. I can't imagine that an average homowner would need more than this, unless you are into some more heavy duty stuff.

Reply to
nospamtodd

Get a battery drill, and a set of screw driver tips. Think Makita.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I find that an apple and oranges statement. I have 2 Dewalt 18v cordless drills and a couple of old Makitas, and as great as they are, they are clumsy at what the electric screw driver does best. I wouldn't be without one. If for some reason I had to choose the drill would win, but then I'd end up doing the tasks that it does so well with a plain old screw driver, and my arm would get tired.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

You bet. Dewalt makes one that is terrific. 7.2 volt with plenty of torque and a quick change chuck. You don't normmaly find it at the stores but i got mine from Amazon. 'bout $100.00

Reply to
Craven Morehead

Craven,

Dont drop your Dewalt 7.2 or it will break in half at the hinge like mine did.

Reply to
cm

I got mine at Home Depot for about the same. I gave my old Black & Decker cordless screwdriver to my father and frankly, I wish I'd hung onto it. While the Dewalt is much more potent, the B&D was adequate for most jobs and handier for all of them. The one I had used the versapak 3.6 volt batteries that slid into the base. It came with two and a charger so there was always at least one ready to go at all times.

I do the same thing with the Dewalt but it is the clumsier of the two tools. I don't think B&D makes the one I had any more. Pity.

I've also got a 18 volt Milwaukee hammer drill/driver and a Makita 9.6 volt drill/driver as well. I don't get them out unless there's a good reason.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
Craven Morehead