Cordless power rant....what we NEED

Y'know I own slobbering 2 stroke chainsaws tillers, and 4 stroke push lawn mowers.Given the price of gasoline you would thing a company would come up with ONE rechargable battery that would work for ALL their outdoor stuff such as lawnmowers, weed eaters.... I am waiting for it to happen....Do you think Makita or Dewalt or Black & Decker can come up with a simple rig that says "we have a product that is all rechargable such as a lawn mower, weed eater,chainsaw, small cultivator ....and.... WILL ALL USE THE SAME BATTERY!...They could set some kind of standard...I'll buy like 10 batterys to have on charge and use whatever product I want to use... I'd buy their entire product that has anything that will run their batteries....thoughts?... I mean it only makes sense...

to hold the charge you'd need for a lawnmower or any other outdoor power equipment. Maybe in a few years when MIT gets their capacitor battery on the open market, things will change

Do they all have the same size motor? maybe the tiller and the mower,but not the chainsaw.

There used to be battery powered lawnmowers,I don't know if they still are made,though. They used a marine 12v battery.They were not very powerful or long-runtime.
Different products need different batteries,having different power consumptions. A worthwhile battery for a lawnmower is going to be too heavy for a string trimmer or weedwhacker.
perhaps he should go with a corded product,and a long extension cord.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I used to have a GE electric lawnmower, pretty powerful - I think it used 6 x 6 volt batteries And ran well as long as the lawn wasn't too steep. It had the power but endurance came up short on steep slopes. Elec-Trac I think

Why'd you get rid of it? steep slopes? or batteries died?

I Googled and found 3 lawnmowers with 24 volt systems.All push-types. Some of the reviews were conflicting.
36V would do pretty good if you had enough A-H to give a decent runtime. It would weigh a lot,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:45:30 -0400, RBM wrote:

Actually, they all seem to use the same cells inside. So they inface are using common parts but in different packages. If they made the package servicable, then it might work. But it would just be annoying to pull 15 battery cells out to put 9 into some different device. Then to keep them all charged. What a headache. But at least you would know which cell is bad.
CL

you are not going to run a lawnmower[or a chainsaw] for very long on the sub-C cells used in a cordless drill,and the mower is not going to cut grass very well,either.Nor will a chainsaw cut well on sub-C cells.
I went and read reviews on the B&D CMM1200 and one said it was junk,and Mother Earth said it was the best of the 3 they tested. they all use 24v lead-acid batteries.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

But battery powered yard tools don't work very well no matter how many battery configurations you have.

I think we have a winner! I don't own any cordless tools for a reason ... they all suck. Just use a long extension cord.

The weight to power ratio is too poor.
Nobody wants to carry around the weight of ten car batteries for a chain saw.
.. come up with a simple rig that

Next, get them to make compatible: Spark plugs, fuel/oil filters. Think how cheap they'd be if there was one that "fits all"
"Jimi" wrote in message

But then you would not have to buy replacement or additional batteries from a specific company. These companies are motivated by GREED.

What CRAP! different tools have different power needs. for portable tools,too heavy a battery makes too much strain in using it. Too small a battery,and no useful run-time,or not enough power to do the task.
Hitachi made a drill-driver that had a coiled cord adapter to connect to a belt power-pack for more run time. Since it wasn't very popular,they stopped making it,and other companies did not copy the idea.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Bill wrote:

Greed is good.

At 100$ for a LiIon 18v Ridgid battery you would buy 10, and they might last only 3 years.
Jimi wrote:

Small potatos. Cheese for the mice of small desires!
What we need is a solar collector helmet to drive the power tools.
If scientists can put a man on Jupiter, they ought to be able to rig something as simple at a sun or wind powered helmet!