Cordless phones advise needed

Page 3 of 3

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:51:54 -0500, "MiamiCuse"

A couple of years ago I bought an AT&T phone (model 2230, has 2 handsets). A few days later a friend called me and we talked a long time. It was about 7 hours before the handset beeped (low battery).

Mark Lloyd
Don't put your phone back in the charger until the batteries are almost dead or dead and you will get a longer talk time.
We buy the cheapest cordless we can find. Always under $16.00 and we get about 2 years out of them with good sound quality and no problems. I don't talk on the phone much but I do have two teenage daughters who can talk for hours.
We used to buy more expensive phones and they were no better and sometimes worse than the cheap ones we buy now.
cm

MiamiCuse wrote:

Hi, In my house, Panasonic 5.8GHz(no interference to Wi-Fi) and they have better batteries than typical NiCad rechargeables.

My current cordless uses 5.8GHz and has NiMH batteries.

Mark Lloyd

Can you point us to some details. So many cordless phone product listings make NO MENTION of the battery type.
To me, as familiar as I am with the FAILINGS of cordless telephony, the biggest issue/concern/problem is the battery - "memory" in Ni-Cads in particular. If/when I break down at get a cordless, I want to do the battery thing right.
I'm really paranoid about the care and feeding of expensive batteries: I bought a 9.6V cordless drill with two battery packs. Probably due to having NOT RTFM, (user error) they never saw much real use and now have about two minutes of half-power. Ni-cads stink.
--
:)
JR

Climb poles and dig holes
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 03:07:58 -0600, Jim Redelfs

Sorry for the omission. The phone I bought is a Uniden TRU-9480-3, which I got at Wal-Mart. This one comes with 3 handsets (there is a 2-handset version). You can get extra handsets for about $30 each. Up to 10 can be made to work with the same base. The base includes an answering machine, which can be operated from the base or any handset. The base and all handiest flash and beep when you have a (answering machine) message.

They don't. I looked at the battery on the one I just bought. I suppose I could have returned it, if it had NiCd. I think some manufactures put that information on their websites.

I mean to fully discharge them once a month, but usually forget.

Yes, they do. That's what happened with my earlier cordless phone, the battery lasted over 7 hours (talk time) when new, that had decreased considerably.
Apparently, you can get plenty of use out of them if you use them regularly. So cordless tools (Ni-cad batteries) work well for professionals, but poorly for homeowners (occasional use).

Mark Lloyd
A few suggested I use lithium batteries, but I don't think I can just switch from NiCad to Lithium right?
For example, two of my phones are:
Panasonic and it uses a PQP85AA3A battery or a P-P508 (3.6V 850mAh) as a replacement.
Motorola MA356 and a D-AA600BX3 battery (3.6V 600mAh)
Both of these are NiCd and looks like I can get new batteries for:
Panasonic:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/batterygallery/Img_0021.jpg
Motorola:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/batterygallery/TL265061.jpg
Is this what I should get? Or can I really replace them with Lithium?
Thanks for all the comments!
MC

If you like to gamble, go ahead. Li-ions are required to be proprietary along with their charging circuit. They can turn into a bomb without these industry standard safe guards.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/22/another-thinkpad-battery-explodes /
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:51:54 -0500, "MiamiCuse"

I bought this one over a year ago and I love it. The second phone doesn't need to be plugged into a phone jack so you can put it anywhere with an electrical outlet.
http://telephones.att.com/telephones_ui/phone_store/dsp_product.cfm?itemID 75&parentQ0
I have the second phone in the bathroom. This is now where I make all my calls to the utility companies and such. You are already on hold. :)
I see that they are selling 3 phone models for about 30$ more.

There are even some that can handle up to 10 handsets. Still with only one phone line connection.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Hi, Yes. Mine has base and 3 HS but it can expand to 8 HS.

Now, we could use one with enough range that you could actually use it at a neighbor's house, like the old ads claimed.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

My old Radio Shack spread-spectrum will take me nearly down to the next block (about 200 feet). I guess they don't make 'em like they used ta.
--
"A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."

I have an old spread-spectrum model that goes 1000ft in the open, really wonderful on a farm ;)
--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/ (add .com after geocities)

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:51:54 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
With all these battery problesm, why don't they make the phones so that you can turn them off?? They used to. Then you could hear the regular phone ring, and answer it with the cordless phone, or you could place a call from the cordless phone.
But you wouldn't use the batteries at all when the phone was off.
I have a phone old enough to be made that way, and the battery will last a week without being recharged, less the longer I actually talk on the phone.
Why did they stop making them right?

My grandmother used to have one with a switch. Of course it also had a nonreplacable NiCd battery that had poor performance after a year or so.

It's possible that the standby current the phone draws is insignificant compared to battery leakage (self discharge with no load). That would be a possible experiment. See how long a filly-charged battery works in the phone, and disconnected.

Mark Lloyd
MiamiCuse wrote:

That's what you're doing wrong. My old Radio Shack (at least 5 years, not sure how much more) is still on its original batteries (4 handsets). I put them in the charging stands before I go to bed and take them out when I get out of bed. The only times I've ever run out of battery were on really long conversations (over two hours) and only when I forgot to charge the phone over the previous night.
--
"A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
Look for a set that uses NiMH (nickel metal hydride) or Lithium Ion batteries. These are the type of batteries used in cell phones and don't have the memory effect that makes NiCad (nickel cadmium) so annoying is cordless phones.