Cordless phones advise needed

Bought a Uniden EXA2950, combo answer mach/'phone. in Nov 2001. Leave it on charge when not in use. Original battery. About $50. Beeps when in use for any lenght of time but low bat light has never shown, FWIW

Reply to
Liza Rhoades

Hi, In my house, Panasonic 5.8GHz(no interference to Wi-Fi) and they have better batteries than typical NiCad rechargeables.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yabbut, it's pretty hard to get a decent system that DOESN'T have one.

I have my telephone service provider's Voice Messaging service so an answering machine would be wasted on me.

When I again enter the creepy world of cordless telephony, it's going to be powered by something OTHER than nickle-cadmium cells.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Reply to
Rob Mills

You can still buy good "business" phones. Talk to your local phone company and I bet they'll have something suitable.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I have a corded phone, we have to have one in Florida in case of hurricane and power failure.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

A few suggested I use lithium batteries, but I don't think I can just switch from NiCad to Lithium right?

For example, two of my phones are:

Panasonic and it uses a PQP85AA3A battery or a P-P508 (3.6V 850mAh) as a replacement.

Motorola MA356 and a D-AA600BX3 battery (3.6V 600mAh)

Both of these are NiCd and looks like I can get new batteries for:

Panasonic:

Motorola:
Is this what I should get? Or can I really replace them with Lithium?

Thanks for all the comments!

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

If you like to gamble, go ahead. Li-ions are required to be proprietary along with their charging circuit. They can turn into a bomb without these industry standard safe guards.

tnom

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My current cordless uses 5.8GHz and has NiMH batteries.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I bought this one over a year ago and I love it. The second phone doesn't need to be plugged into a phone jack so you can put it anywhere with an electrical outlet.

I have the second phone in the bathroom. This is now where I make all my calls to the utility companies and such. You are already on hold. :)

I see that they are selling 3 phone models for about 30$ more.

Reply to
Terry

There are even some that can handle up to 10 handsets. Still with only one phone line connection.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Hi, Yes. Mine has base and 3 HS but it can expand to 8 HS.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

With all these battery problesm, why don't they make the phones so that you can turn them off?? They used to. Then you could hear the regular phone ring, and answer it with the cordless phone, or you could place a call from the cordless phone.

But you wouldn't use the batteries at all when the phone was off.

I have a phone old enough to be made that way, and the battery will last a week without being recharged, less the longer I actually talk on the phone.

Why did they stop making them right?

Reply to
mm

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Can you point us to some details. So many cordless phone product listings make NO MENTION of the battery type.

To me, as familiar as I am with the FAILINGS of cordless telephony, the biggest issue/concern/problem is the battery - "memory" in Ni-Cads in particular. If/when I break down at get a cordless, I want to do the battery thing right.

I'm really paranoid about the care and feeding of expensive batteries: I bought a 9.6V cordless drill with two battery packs. Probably due to having NOT RTFM, (user error) they never saw much real use and now have about two minutes of half-power. Ni-cads stink.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Chuckle. There is a crate in my basement that resembles that remark. I had to take my 1974 pre-modular 2500 out of service after I moved, because it made the dialup connection go half-speed. The 2554s did the same thing. Now using 3 old trimline TTs, and a 500 rotary in the bedroom. I used to be able to buy real WE's at garage sales, but haven't seen any in a couple of years. I can't bear to shitcan my collection- one of these days I may clean them up and mix and match parts (mostly interchangable) to get a few working ones. Some of them are weird enough to have collector interest. Most of the rotaries work fine, but I'm too old and lazy to put rotaries at positions I actually call out from. (The bedroom phone gets used to answer calls maybe 3 or 4 times a year.)

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

Are you saying that just having a cordless phone that is not being used can affect dialup speed?

Reply to
Terry

Sorry for the omission. The phone I bought is a Uniden TRU-9480-3, which I got at Wal-Mart. This one comes with 3 handsets (there is a

2-handset version). You can get extra handsets for about $30 each. Up to 10 can be made to work with the same base. The base includes an answering machine, which can be operated from the base or any handset. The base and all handiest flash and beep when you have a (answering machine) message.

They don&#39;t. I looked at the battery on the one I just bought. I suppose I could have returned it, if it had NiCd. I think some manufactures put that information on their websites.

I mean to fully discharge them once a month, but usually forget.

Yes, they do. That&#39;s what happened with my earlier cordless phone, the battery lasted over 7 hours (talk time) when new, that had decreased considerably.

Apparently, you can get plenty of use out of them if you use them regularly. So cordless tools (Ni-cad batteries) work well for professionals, but poorly for homeowners (occasional use).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Now, we could use one with enough range that you could actually use it at a neighbor&#39;s house, like the old ads claimed.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd