cordless phones

Page 3 of 3

Please note, the "privacy" codes provide no privacy. They are a low tone which opens the squelch. You can transmit on 1-30 and someone with a cheap set on ch 1 can hear everything you say.
Try it... set one radio to 1-30 and other one to 1-0, and talk back and forth. The no code 1-0 can hear everything.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They make walkie talkies now that go 25 miles. A good set with charger will cost you about $50. I like Midland brand. You might get an additional charger, or buy a set that has two separate chargers, so one in the house, one in the shop. The good thing about them, too, is that when he goes out back of the shop, or is under a car, he will have the radio in his pocket (hopefully), and if he runs into a rowdy skunk, or is just feelin a little puny, he won't have to make it back to the shop for the phone.
Yah, yah, I know a phone can be carried in the pocket, too. But have you seen these little radios? I have had several sets now, and all the family have them. We get on 1-31, and they all can talk to each other, so you can have all kinds of brands, and they will transmit on like frequencies. The radios would be convenient for all over the property, and you might consider a set of four.
Rag on him for a couple of weeks to carry it in his pocket when he leaves the shop, as if he gets into trouble, it won't do him any good with it back at the shop. I'm an old fart, so don't know how I know these things.
We lost one at the cabin one year. The next spring, we found it, where it would have been under five feet of snow for the winter. We figured it was toast. We charged it, and it worked perfectly. It was a Midland, one of the upper grades. I would have bet a days pay that it wasn't going to work.
Others here have said similar.
Steve

Unless you are on a hill or maybe over water there is no way a walkie talkie will go 25 miles. Not even the high powered ones of 5 watts or so. You will be lucky to get 2 or 3 miles out of them in the normal flat areas especially when the plants have lots of leaves on them. .
I have been a ham for over 35 years and have played with them for years. This is not the $ 50 class, but more like the $ 250 each and up class, but the price has came down to about half that now.
To get the 25 mile range you must be on tall hills or mountains.

12 miles here:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)78531477&sr=1-1 Just in........36 here:
http://www.dak.com/reviews/2027story.cfm?Ref=G&PM=GMRS&type=GSrch&Srh=GMRS_GP&gclid=CNPEpf2V2qICFQ855wodvExdzQ

http://www.dak.com/reviews/2027story.cfm?Ref=G&PM=GMRS&type=GSrch&Srh=GMRS_GP&gclid=CNPEpf2V2qICFQ855wodvExdzQ
Have you tried either of the radios ? The ads can say anything. Looks like a Billie Mays ad on TV. Also same type of ads that you add things to your car to get beter gas milage. I bought a bunch of them and installed it on a car. Had to drain a couple of gallons out each week it saved me so much :-)
Why stop there ? I talked to someone on a WT around 200 miles away . He was on a jet around 35,000 feet off the ground. Couple of others I know talked over 100 miles but one was on Mt. Mitchell (highest point on the east coast). This was with the low power WTs. In the flat lands you would be lucky to get a mile out of them.

Wow......the earth might get hit by an asteroid tomorrow too. Think I'll go eat a couple bottle of aspirins.
"up to" like my two mile walkies that did 0.7 miles?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hmm... To get a 25 mile range you would need an FCC license to be operating a high power repeater or several lower power remote sites, either way that is a lot of money for the equipment...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

My vhf repeater at work is on top of a 14 story building on a hill. My 5-watt H-T's can talk to each over pretty much anywhere in a 30 mile circle. My stone-age system is more dependable than the megabuck 800-mhz trunked system that all the local public safety agencies are using.
As to OP's problem- I'd just string a wire. Find burial-rated cable, make a slit with a flat shovel, shove the wire in, and stomp it closed. If he can't find real Ma Bell wire, the stuff for outdoor lights should work okay. Only problem will be crossing any paved areas- if you can't poke a stick of pipe under them, you have to find some way to go around or over them. Maybe get Ma Bell to install a new number out there, and then cancel it a month later, and jumper it over to the house line.
The pre-paid cell is probably the most painless solution, if (and it is a big if), there is coverage inside the shop.
--
aem sends...

With good Motorola FRS, the ones I tested got 0.7 miles from "two mile" walkies. You're right about mountains, etc.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That is what we have here in the west. Horizon to horizon line of sight. I have some Motorola commercial job grade radios, and the Midlands do everything they will do. We've done seven miles with clarity on dry Pleistocene lake beds.
And surely, you know that 300' is far less than the 2-3 miles that can be expected even of the cheap walkie talkie radios.
Any more nits?
Steve
cj wrote:

Go to Walmart get a cheap ($19) DECT phone made by Uniden. Try it. No Joy? Bring it back (in less than 45 days).

Perhaps he should get one of those pendants or bracelets that a frail or elderly or handicapped person wears. Press a button when you have a fall and can't get up, or (heaven forfend) a heart attack, or... and an alarm goes off in the hq. If the victim doesn't answer the phone, the hq will call the designated person (you?), and if they don't answer, the police or fire dept.
cj wrote:

If only for emergencies, ANY cell phone will work. Even deactivated ones (presuming they're charged) can still contact 911.
cj wrote:

Any old cell phone will dial 911.
--
LSMFT

LSMFT wrote:

my dad lives alone in a rural area with crummy cell service. he wants the ability to call his neighbors in an emergency. i've found a few phones that apparently have the range but are very pricey. i'll try to talk him into a well shielded land line down to the workshed cj

with the low price of celluar today you could install a outdoor cell antenna with local repeater.
position the antenna right and he would no only have service in workkshop but around the homes outside, and in his home too if he wants.
locally land line service price has gone up while celluar dropped like a rock....
On 7/7/2010 9:18 AM, cj wrote:

In which country do you reside? There are any number of long range cordless phones available, some have ranges measured in miles or kilometers. The legality depends on your home country.
TDD