cordless phones

Page 2 of 3

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".
reply: Don't know about yours, but on mine, it was to change the channel in case of interference. ;-)
Steve
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:07:56 -0700, "Steve B"

The one I dad in about 1980 definitely did NOT have a change channel button. If there was interference, you had to take it back to the store and exchange it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

You had a 900MHz cordless phone in 1980?
wrote

You had a 900MHz cordless phone in 1980?
reply: Thread drift is a terrible thing. Who are you talking to? I had the old cordless phones that did and did not have channel selectors on them. I even had one that sat on the table and you'd pick up the earpiece and talk into the base. It wasn't cordless, and had only one hardwired line. The interference came from the people on that party line.
Steve

I'm talking to the person that I responded to, Mark Lloyd.
Also, I don't see anything here about a 54MHz cordless phone.
http://www.uniden.com/press/docs/Cordless_Phone_Timeline.pdf

On a 54mhz phone, or a 900? The first 54 mhz units were single channel - then the fancier units like the Compander Plus from Sanyo went to 25 channel auto switching (spread spectrum)
On Jul 13, 10:17pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

900 which according to the OP there was no way to change the channel. Not only could you change the channel, but I had a Sony that automatically changed channels every 60 seconds or so for privacy issues.
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 07:56:36 -0700, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Our vtech pieces of shit start to drop calls at around 90 feet (which is about ten feet short of my workshop door from the house, grrr! :-) and get all hissy even 10 feet outside the house walls.
I think I'm going to end up running a pair of underground cat5 cables out to the 'shop - one for voice and one for 'net (although I could do with something in the garage, too; not sure what the limit is on number of phones running off the system).

Wow..... You must live in a densely populated area. With the permutations of channels on there, there must be thousands. I never had that problem, and when we did, we'd just jump channels.
Steve
On 07/07/10 02:42 pm, Steve B wrote:

There are only 7 (or is it 9?) FRS channels, and only a few tens of GMRS channels on the walkie-talkies I've seen advertised.
And people should be aware that use of the GMRS channels (intended originally, AIUI, for business use) requires an FCC license -- no idea whether that costs money.
Perce
The ones in stores, there are 14 FRS channels. And 22 channels in the GMRS band, which contains the first 14 which are FRS. So, that's 8 exclusive to GMRS.
You're right, most people have no clue that the GMRS channels need a license from FCC. License from FCC. Does it cost money? What's your first guess? Yes, or no?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 07/07/10 10:10 pm, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, it costs, but not a whole lot.
From the Best Buy Web site:
'How much does a GMRS license cost? "The FCC grants 5-year renewable licenses for GMRS Systems. The current fee for a new GMRS license is $75."* Note: The amount stated above is the GMRS license fee at the time of the writing of this article. However, we recommend that you check with the FCC at: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmobile/ to verify current fees.
You can obtain your GMRS license or additional information from the FCC: To purchase your GMRS operators license or to obtain more information, you can access the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) online at FCC.gov or by phone at 1-888-CALL-FCC or 1-877-480-3201. Or you may e-mail the FCC for licensing help at: snipped-for-privacy@fcc.gov
Your family members may share in the use of your GMRS license: "The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a land-mobile radio service available for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179). Normally, as a GMRS system licensee, you and your family members would communicate among yourselves over the general area of your residence or during recreational group outings, such as camping or hiking."*'
Perce

I saw my license application in my box of new radios. Yeah, right. I'm going to spend $75, or about as much as I pay for the radios, on a license to use walkie talkies to run around the woods riding ATVs and playing paintball?
I don't think so, Tim.
I have yet to see any triangulation trucks or officials in the woods enforcing the laws. But I guess you don't always see or hear those stealth government vehicles, particularly the helicopters.
Steve

Umm, no... A busy channel is a busy channel... Even if you set a different selective calling "privacy code" you will still experience interference if you are trying to transmit on a channel someone else is using even if the group using the channel is on a different "privacy code" than the one you are trying to use...
FMRS and GMRS only have a set number of channels, the permutations you speak of are fictional, as a channel that is inundated with users in your area will make it all but impossible for you to use the same channel...
~~ Evan

Umm, no... A busy channel is a busy channel... Even if you set a different selective calling "privacy code" you will still experience interference if you are trying to transmit on a channel someone else is using even if the group using the channel is on a different "privacy code" than the one you are trying to use...
FMRS and GMRS only have a set number of channels, the permutations you speak of are fictional, as a channel that is inundated with users in your area will make it all but impossible for you to use the same channel...
~~ Evan
Then, all you do is pick another channel and go. It's really simple. I have actually done it. Many times. Many many times. If one channel is busy, you go to another. I fail to see your point.
Steve
I've heard places like Disneyland are nearly impossible, with too many users. Many of them saying nothing important, and some of those shoutign into the mic to get through.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

We were in Busch Gardens last month and there wasn't that much activity on FRS, I guess everyone has a cell phone now.
On Jul 8, 11:31am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You take walkie talkies to theme parks?
With only 14 channels in the FRS band. I can imagine they clog up pretty quickly at public events.
I've been at gun shows, where a lot of guys were using FRS. Rather politely, too.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

So what do you do when you need to talk to the other station and the channel is occupied, "simply" call the other station on the phone and tell them what channel you are switching to on your walkie talkie????
Mark