cordless phones

Page 1 of 3

greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an option. thanks, cj

There are a number of variations of small walkie-talkie kinds of radios that might serve your purpose.
Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service
See what the local stores have or go online.
Charlie

What he said. Buy upper grade Midland.
Steve
FRS is a good choice if both structures are wood. If either is aluminum sided, the performance is less.
I went to visit a friend one time. He's a machinist, and works in an over grown pole barn wtih aluminum siding. I couldn't talk from the parking lot to his station, though when I stepped in it was fine.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'd suggest that you go to www.consumerreports.org, pay the six dollar monthly fee, and check their cordless phone reviews. A friend of mine just replaced a couple of lousy cordless phones with one of the AT&T models, but I don't know which ones. She said not all models from that brand fared well in the tests, so you can't assume anything about any particular brand.

Similar problem here. Tried those 2 way radios. Hard to find a channel that has does not other people on it..So bought a cell Trac Phone from WalMart. Inexpensive and minutes are low cost. Wife is disabled and I carry this phone left on when working in the shop or if I leave the house. That way she calls me with our regular phone. Works great. WW

Yeah, cordless phones have FCC limits on power output and 300 feet is getting marginal. The pay per use cellphone is probably a much better choice. If your father works in a metal-enclosed building, both the cellphone and the cordless phone will have problems.

Net 10 10 cents a minute, no dollar a day for the 1st use like so many of them have. 300 minutes for 30 bucks and adds 60 days. I love it. You can get a cheap one at walgreens on sale for 25.99 and it comes with 300 minutes/60 days. http://www.net10.com / Check it out, I get by for 15 bucks for a phone a month, using this and use skype to call out at 2 cents a minute. Grandpa will love texting with the grand kids.
On Jul 7, 1:59pm, FatterDumber& Happier Moe

FWIW our 900 megahertz cordless phone works well for several hundred feet. However in certain places inside neighbour's house across a fairly busy road. it can get fuzzy or noisy; but moving a few feet usually takes care of it.
It also works OK in daughter's house some 150 feet behind ours, but again there are few places within that house where it is weak or noisy. Probably due to metal air ducts, wiring and metal pipes in the walls etc. All houses are wood frame construction, although ours also has Al. foil in the walls! The base unit is located approx. in middle of the house away from any exterior walls.
A much lower frequency 'baby monitor' does not work as well as the cordless phone.
Also a review on TV that indicated that a test of some newer 2 gigahertz cordless phones failed at about the same distances as 900 mhz. But those tests were using the handset outside of all houses!
I would tend to opt, based on personal experience for a 900 mhz. unit. Or a cheap cell phone. As also a senior; mine carried for emergencies costs $11.30 per month, taxes included and also including some air time. It is rarely used!
By proper location of the 900 mhz host unit; maybe placing it in say a window and unless the parental workshop is inside a metal shed there is good chance 900 mhz. will work as remote cordless phone from the house phone line.
Our cordless GE 26921 GE2-R, ATLINKS USA INC. IIRC it cost $25.
We have replaced the handset battery probably once in some eight years using a cheap dollar store battery. We occasionally allow the battery to run down to avoid overcharging 'battery memory' effect.
Hope this useful.

900 MHz? They still make those?
Ron wrote:

Hi, They don't make them but can find them.

I can find one stored with the rest of my "obsolete" electronics.
message

Not sure if this plan is still available but our Virgin setup is $.18 a minute but only have to "top-up" $15 every 3 months or more often if you use up your minutes. Personally I don't even use the 28 minutes a month that the $5 gets me so my cell bill is $5 a month. The phone was free when I signed up about 3 years ago. Also includes texting and email for $.15 a pop.
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 07:56:36 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Some of the DECT 6.0 phones are good for 0ver 700 feet under the right conditions. My cheap GE unit is good for about 300 feet in town.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, DECT 6 runs on lower frequency. Definitely has better range.
Tony Hwang wrote:

UH Actually runs on a very high frequencey
LouB wrote:

Hmmm, Not really lower than 2 or 5GHz phones. 1.9GHz thayt is.

No, lower prequency is correct Worldwide DECT standars is 1800/1900 mhz - North America is DECT6.0 - running at 1920/1930mhz. Significantly lower frequency than the older common5.8ghz, but higher than the old 900mhz
[snip]

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz. Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference.

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".