Cordless phones

I wish I could do that. However, the cellular reception is real bad here. About .3 of the time, there's no signal. The rest of the time, calls are full of dropouts. The situation outside is only SLIGHTLY better.

BTW, this is in town and the signal is very good miss than a mile north, and less than a mile south of here (business areas).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

REALLY!

I thought that was what you were supposed to do -- let 'em run all the way down to zero, and only then recharge them.

Like with electric toothbrushes, razors, etc.

Question: was that EVER true?

Question: are there different recharge-rules for different products, kinds of things, etc?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Yeah, but this way "they" can *always* know where you are. Might that be the reason for no more switch?

David

Reply to
David Combs

Aren't these the guys who make (or used to make) a "two-line" phone?

Reply to
David Combs

Absolutely not! There's always a weakest cell and when you run the battery all the way down, there's a point where the weakest cell is completely discharged and the other cells are forcing current through it, effective charging it in reverse and leading to a shorted out cell.

no. It's good to run it almost all the way, but *never* keep running once the battery starts to lose voltage.

Not really. Lithium ion cells tend to have much smarter charge controllers and won't let the battery fully discharge. They have a limited number of cycles; if you discharge them half as much and recharge twice as often, you'll effectively half the total overall lifespan.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Hi, I'd go for DECT 6 phones with lithium ion batteries. Ni-Cad batteries have been known for memory effect for sure.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Some time ago I purchased a 4-handset, Panasonic DECT 6.0 (1.6 gHz) system. They are equipped with NiMH (Nickle Metal Hydride) cells.

Two days ago I went shopping again for a cordless phone for a friend. I learned that virtually all DECT 6.0 models are NiMH-equipped. I believe

5.8 gHz systems are, too.

Agreed, and there are probably a dozen, different recommendations for their "care and feeding" - none of which seems to provide long life.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

I've heard conflicting findings. I may very well be a myth.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

If the batteries are NiCad's, the memory effect is NOT a myth. Ask anyone who flies radio control aircraft and uses or used to use NiCad's.

I used to use NiCad batteries with my aircraft and regular "cycling" of the batteries with a battery cycler extended the useful life of the batteries and kept the capacity of the batteries to near new condition.

Unless there are protective circuits in the device being used, running a battery down to zero is not a very good idea and could actually kill a rechargeable battery very quickly.

Follow the instructions that came with your device regarding batteries. My electric shaver has an auto shut down so that the battery doesn't go to zero before charging and it is recommended to let the shaver discharge to auto shutdown regularly before recharging.

The instructions given will depend upon the type of batteries you are using.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

Not really. It was a trick that was used on early NiCads but is not recommended for any battery currently made that I know of. It might not be bad IF you are discharging a single cell and not a battery of cells, but frankly it is not worth much at best. Back in the early days of Polaroid's with electronic flashes, I was able to bring quite a few of them back to life for a short while (time measured in weeks at best) so the owner might get through the birthday party or whatever, but it always ended up with new batteries.

Reply to
jmeehan

If you read the fine print there's generally a way to power down the phone, if you're talking cellular, rather than putting it in standby. But I believe the discussion was of the kind of phone that has a hard-wired base unit and a handset that can be used within a few hundred feet of the base. The only people who are going to track you with one of those would be your parents.

Reply to
J. Clarke