Cordless Phone Battery & V-Tech ?

Hi,
Probably a bit OT, but figured you folks would undoubtedly know. What a great Forum, and folkks that hang out here and are always so helpful.
Have a V-Tech cordless phone. Quite old.
Is this made by Uniden ? V Tech still in business ?
Have to replace the rechargeable battery in the handset part of it.
They have a big sticker on it to use only a V Tech battery, No. xxx
Is this just adverising, or can I safely use one from R/S/ that supposedly is equivalent.
Thanks, Bob
Bob,
Look in your yellow pages for a battery store like Batteries Plus. They can make a battery to fit your phone.
cm

Robert11 wrote:

I also suggest stopping by your local Batteries Plus and bring the phone.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

If it were my phone, I'd use any battery that is indicated as being a replacement. I'd also look on Ebay, as most times you can find this kind of thing there with a lot less time and hassle than locally.

This is EXCELLENT advice. Always bring the old battery AND the phone when shopping for a replacement battery. There is a HUGE number of different batteries. Going to a battery store will probably be less confusing if a bit more expensive than *IF* you were able to find it at Wal-Mart.
Also, be sure to consider the "net" price of a replacement/new phone after having subtracted the final cost of a replacement battery for the OLD phone. It's likely that, for only a few $$ more, one could get a new phone with a warranty.
--
:)
JR

Mean Evil Bell System
Jim Redelfs wrote:

& better features, better battery, better range, better noise reduction, better adjacent channel rejection, better security, more channels...
And probably more superlatives in a new phone. The V-Tech was a cheap one in the day.
Rob
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 07:03:40 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

any compatible battery will do. there are rechargeable battery stores to be found online. I hear about them all the time from the cordless drill folks. perhaps a google can find you a good place.

I have a set of 3 V-tech phones and they take a battery with the contacts on the side instead of the end. Radio Shack has, usually in stock, exactly one battery like that and it fits fine. Oh yes, their in-store on-line battery substitution manual retrieves the same model.
The only question left is whether R/s batteries are of the same value or the same value for the money, but no one so far has said they're not.
BTW, some of their models also accept a battery in the base station, where it will charge but apparently also keeps the memory working in power failures. But I wouldn't buy a second battery until I was satisfied with how it works.
I bought my set of 3 for 2 dollars total, and one base station and 2 phones don't work, and the phone that works sounds bad even to me when I'm listening. Of course that's why it was for sale and so cheap. Others say theirs work well.
I think I saw some for sale last month.
Another problem with having no on/off switch on a cordless phone is that when one is not using the phone, it still has a drain on it, and gets deader and deader and deadeer. While it is wise to take batteries out of flashlights and more expensive things, in CASE the batteries leak, it seems one MUST take the batteries out of things that are always on but not plugged in or chargign, or one is sure to drain the battery. Cordless phones should have on/off switches and for the last several years they don't.

I mixed that up. I saw an ad for one last month in a magazine that was 20 years old!!