Cordless Dustbuster Won't Charge

Page 2 of 2
If you are a little adventurous, it is generally not too difficult to replace the batteries, that no doubt are the cause of the problem. However you are likely to need the skill to solder them in place. You would start disassembling the device and find the batteries, take them out and bring them to a real battery store where they can find the correct or better replacements.
Note: Don't try to solder directly on the battery, they can't stand the heat, you are likely to see a battery that looks like a normal battery with some tabs on each end. Those tabs are electrically welded on, not soldered. You need to get the replacements with the same tabs on them. For under $10. You can have it back in service better than new. However if this all seems like it would be too hard, then it may not be for you, just buy a new one.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Nicads should neve be left in a charger unless it is a peak charger that shuts off. Jreigle has the maintenance issue worked out properly and that allows for longer life
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:45:00 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I've had three of these now. They all have the same problem. The internal brass conductors that switch between operate and charge do not always make a good connection in the charge position. I have taken them apart, cleaned them, re-tensioned and aligned them and they still will not make good contact in the charge position every time.
The only successful way of putting the switch into the charge position is to wiggle the switch in the charge position and hope that the contact will work its way into a conductive state. So far it has worked 95% of the time with the two I have in operation right now.
replying to tnom, Gaylene wrote:

I just bought one of these for $2 at a thrift store. It wouldn't charge. I did a search about it and came across this discussion. I read about the contacts and what I did was wedged a piece of paper folded up to the right thickness on the opposite side of the contacts in between the charger base and the unit. Thought if this don't work I'm throwing it away. After as few hours of charging I took it off the base and turned it on and it worked!!! Yay!! Thanks tnom!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

if its like anything i have bought that is rechargeable its batteries are probably out of juice.. they died... the rest of the stuff had to be thrown out with the batteries.....
I had the same problem, same model # the battery pack inside looks like two "C" size. the replacement pack retails for about $20 bucks. A newer more powerfull unit runs about $30. TOSS IT.
tnom suggested wiggling the vac in its charger to make sure it is making contact. Unlike shavers and mobile phones there's no light to tell you it's charging. And it worked! And this time the charge was completely dissipated & left to charge for over 24 hours, which is what the manual recommends when operating times start to shorten. So I think I will stay with these techniques in the future. Thanks for all your help. ~ RG
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I have the same problem with a one year old one. It seems the latching mechanism into the holder is poor. Even if it is slightly loose it will not make contact. I heated the tab and bent it to tighten it and that worked for a while. I then had to bend the contacts to achieve better contact.
My personal opinion is B&D products are not what they used to be.
Every B&D product I purchased in the past 10 years has been junk. THat includes power tools, small appliances, garden tools and this last B&D product I wll buy this cordless hand vac. I had a hoover cordless hand vac for 8 years and the batteries went which is understandable of nicads.
replying to rschng, Robin K wrote:

Well, at least you got a couple of years of use out of it. Mine is only 3 months old and does the same thing. So much for Black & Decker I guess I will go back to Dirt Devil.

Cheap batteries are shot. Replace them or send the unit to a rebuilder. They will use a better battery too.
On 5/5/2015 9:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yah, I did that in my dustbuster and while I was at it, I added one extra cell ... made a big difference in power. Eventually replace it with a Dirt Devil. But Right now I have a buster by Electrolux which nests into a cordless floor sweeper. This thing really sucks. It uses a 12 volt battery and by itself as a buster, you can actually feel it pull on the palm of you hand, not like any of the others. As a floor sweeper it works great; has a rotating brush on the bottom with some LED headlights.
replying to rschng, MarilynKamp wrote: I just did a search on this because I'm having the same problem. There should be a recall on this. I have only had it about 6 months!

Marilyn-
I have the same problem. The DustBuster is left plugged-in, so the batteries are always on charge. Unfortunately it over-charges the batteries, and they eventually go bad.
I got tired of replacing the expensive batteries, and plan to donate the DustBuster. It was replaced with a DeWalt corded/cordless Wet-Dry Vacuum.
The DeWalt uses a battery that requires a separate charger. It is heavier than the DustBuster but works much better. I think DeWalt has a smaller, lighter model, but do not know how it compares.
Fred