Cordless Dustbuster Won't Charge

Page 1 of 2
I have a Black &Decker Dustbuster Plus DB350 that's only a couple years old. Lately it won't recharge. It's stored in it's holder which plugs into an outlet. The outlet works. I've emptied the dust out & washed (and dried) the filter. I've sanded the contact points. But when it's removed from the tray & turned on, it just gasps and dies. The search engines have not been helping me lately. Any ideas how to fix or sites to visit? TIA ~ RG
I had the same problem. These units are not made to last. I got satisfaction at the local dump.

My experience is that nicads last about two years. Doesn't much matter what you do with them. I used to have Black and Decker rechargeable drills, and also Skil rechargable drills.
Batteries last about two years. If you're a techie wizzard, rip it apart and solder in some new batteries. If you're a techienerd, externalize the battery pack and put on AA cells, so you can run nicads off the charger or alkalines if you want turbo boost.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Most likely the battery pack is dead You can probably buy a new vac for the price of batteries. They just don't last all that long. Ed

Rechargeable batteries must be kept charged. If you quit using the device and let the battery self-discharge and stay that way for a long time, odds are that it'll never charge again.
I've seen this too many times. The batteries can be used and recharged hundreds of times, but leave the device in a drawer for a few months and that's the end of it.
wrote in message

The Dustbusters with internal cells(not the VersaPacks)are designed to be left -on- the charger 24/7/365.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
snipped-for-privacy@kua.net

So?
replying to Jim Yanik, tina gorzalski wrote: i leave my dust buster on for 24/7 and has no charge after using for a few seconds. bad battery since i bought 6 months ago. going to get a shark
On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 20:14:01 +0000, tina gorzalski

Built-in rechargeable batteries are designed for a limited lifetime. When they no longer charge, you are supposed to throw them away and buy a new one.
Pretty smart marketing.
It's just failure of the nicad batteries due to leaving them continually on charge. This is just not the way to make them last but it is what B&D recommends, probably so that the batteries fail early.
You can replace the batteries for approximately the cost of a new dustbuster.

Mine lasted 10 years.And Dewalt service center changed the pack for less than a new DB cost. Digi-Key has NiCd cells -designed- to be left on continuous charge.)
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
snipped-for-privacy@kua.net

I have a dirt devil extreme I occasionally use. I only charge it a few hours occasionally. Got to be at least 6 years old.
Greg
Gz:
If you are good at remembering to remove from base after so many hours that is good.
Me, not so much.

I move it out so I trip over it !!
Greg
thekmanrocks wrote:

The charger should shut off when the batteries are charged.
On 5/13/2015 9:19 PM, Horace. LaBadie wrote:

Maybe in a perfect world... The charger should also maintain a float charge and trickle the battery to maintain a perfect state of 100% efficiency so he can use that dust buster to clean out 50 cars before it needs to be recharged, But it doesn't! Which is why almost every Ni-Cad rechargeable appliance/tool I've ever seen cautions against leaving on the charger more than a set period of time, recommends not topping it off after each use, etc.
Ni-Cads are old technology and are notorious for taking on a "memory" and being short-lived. Newer tech (Li-Ion) = Better Service
Had mine for six years so far and I use it three times a week. The problem with the Nicad batteries is if you use it a little and put it back on the charger, the batteries will not hold a full charge after a while. It just gets worse after time. With my shaver and my vac, it never goes on the charger until the charge is depleted. (My shaver is 12 years old or more.) Also, I only charge it for a day. never let the batteries cook on the charger. if you store it on the charging base, unplug the charger.
Proper care for your batteries and the device will last for years.
John

################# It's called memory effect. Ni-cads suck for that reason. Thats why they came up with Li-on batteries....no memory BG
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in 2172.public.lawson.webtv.net:

Had this happen(after 10 years!),the local DeWalt service center replaced the battery pack for less than what a new Dustbuster would cost. It took a week,and $18.00US.
And that was cheaper than I could have bought the new NiCds myself. (they're special continuous-charge NiCds,see Digi-Key catalog)
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
snipped-for-privacy@kua.net