cordless drill opinion

Page 2 of 2

Milwaukee has a good reputation for tools. For an 18V, that one is light. Most 18V are too heavy unless you truly need the power. Often you can get away with much less. I love my Panasonic 15.6V because of the size and weight. If you decide to get it, I don't think you'll be sorry.
i have one of these from milwaukee - li-ion 18v hammer drill and it came with an impact driver and two batteries for under $300 at toolup.com. definitely liking it so far, though i haven't used the hammer function yet. one thing to note about them is that they are heavier than some of their counterparts. depending upon what you're using them for, that may be a factor. the makita impact driver is nice, but the battery dies too quickly because it's too small. -c
wrote:

Have you thought about getting one with a hammer feature for drilling into concrete, just in case you have to.
For most stuff a good 12v drill is fine. I have a 12v Makita and it will screw in about 50 3" deck screws on a charge. By then the spare battery is recharged. 12v weighs less so it is less tiring to use.

Look closely at the lithium-ion (Li-Ion) battery drills. These will be as powerful (comparing like voltages, of course) as the NiMH and NiCd drills but lighter.
Ryobi makes a nice tiny (green!) 12v drill for $80 I've seen at Home Depot. Milwaukee and Rigit also make small drills.
I suggest looking at these before buying to see if they are a big advantage for your (small) hands. :-)
Good luck, FBt

One really nice feature of the Li-ion system is that it retains a charge for many months in storage. The two other battery chemistries both have self-discharge rates that deplete the pack by the next time you want to use it,and then you have to spend an hour or more recharging a pack.

Ridgid,you mean.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik