cordless drill opinion

Page 1 of 2
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and could give me their opinion.
Thanks, bonnie jean
bonniejean wrote:

Not it but have two of "old-style" 18V Milwaukee Red -- _it_ I like a lot and recommend highly. This one, not yet seen...
bonniejean wrote:

Haven't used that one, but it is hard to go wrong with milwaukee. Here is a link to a test of 18 volt cordless drills from march of last year. You might find some helpful info there:
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID 90&articleIDP1521
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Milwaukee tools is now owned by a China Company as is Rigid Tool Company. I use Dewalt and don't know who owns them, but you can't beat DeWalt. Don't buy a 3/8 inch drill motor but the 1/2 inch one. The 18 volt DeWalt XRP 1/2 inch is commonly used by contractors and is the best on the market. Mine is made in Mexico. It is almost impossible to find tools made in the USA. I have used my XRP for 8 hours on one battery charge for installing metal roofing screws.

DeWalt is Japanese Black and Decker. It's pretty decent, maybe a little crude compared to Milwaukee. Of the maybe 20 brands of tools in my shop, Milwaukee and (are you ready for this?) Makita seem to get the job done best, Bosch next, Hitachi, Panasonic (hard to find), Porter Cable (sanders mostly), and down on the list Craftsman power tools. Pretty high on the list, Craftsman's hand tools, made by Danaher, the people that also make Matco professional tools. FWIW...
Joe

Funny how those China tools just disappear or break within the first half hour. I guess us all American electricians just don't know how to use them.

That would be real nice but I am interested in this particular drill because of it's weight (light) and the fast charging battery. DeWalt doesn't make one like that. Makita does but it doesn't seem to get as good reviews as the Milwaukee. I have recurring carpel tunnel and a regular weight drill makes my wrist ache.
I also have a small hand, even for a woman. In reading customer reviews about this drill, women seem to really like it's small outline. (My boyfriend bought me a "ladies" Glock 45 for my birthday. Very very comfortable.)
But I don't think they make this "version" with the hammer feature. Actually they don't make any other tools that will use this battery. That is a negative but Milwaukee says they will be coming soon.
I knew a bunch of you guys would start in about this brand vs that brand. ..makes me smile. But I'm not that much into the finer points. Now if you wanted to talk about knitting...
bonnie

As an electrician, all my power tools used to be Milwaukee, as they were the standard in the industry... Then they became crap... I use mostly Dewalt now.. and they're pretty much crap too, but hey, there are only so many companies to choose from. Regardless of the make, I prefer 14 volt tools, as they have pretty much the same power as 18 volts, but are lighter and more manuverable. I just replaced one of my crap Dewalt driver drills with a model DC730, which, despite being crap, is really nice and small and light, certainly worth looking into

aren't the lithium powered drills lighter for the same or even higher voltages? And they have the useful benefit of not losing charge in storage for up to 6 months,for those who only use them sporadically.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Sure, but as yet they don't seem to have them for all the voltages. I'll wait until Li-on is the only type available, then hopefully, they won't cost lung to buy

If you wait till Liion is the only type offered you wont ever buy one.

If you wait till Liion is the only type offered you wont ever buy one.
When everyone is screaming that they're the best thing since sliced bread... I'll buy one

Today they are the best thing, but every so many years battery technology gets better.

Today they are the best thing, but every so many years battery technology gets better.
Unfortunately, despite a tremendous need, new battery technology seems pretty slow. I use my driver drill virtually every day, and generally rotate four batteries. The usable life, for me is about two years, which translates to about six months per battery. It works out OK because in two years the driver drill is toast, and I buy a new one and two additional batteries and start over. If the Lion batteries are good for several thousand full charges, I wouldn't have to buy the extra batteries. That's worth about $100 to me

Short charging time = short run time so make sure you have at least two batteries.
Check out this Makita - doesn't weigh much at all: http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag F452HW it doesn't have the long-life battery that my Makita does, but it is much lighter and according to the site, .5 pound lighter than the Milwaukee.
The hammer feature .... good thing you don't want it, you're not missing much. If anyone wants to drill in concrete, they're better off with a true hammer drill.
not sure what you're using it for, but maybe this one is more up your alley: http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_27_40028_-1_745154_192142_192137

Its a nice drill if its the Li-Ion battery, Milwaukee has a new Li-Ion 12v minature drill driver out, if weight is a concern, it also fits in your pocket. Ridgid has a new line of Li-Ion 18v and minature 12v. Ridgid has a lifetime warranty even on batteries.

No experience with Milwaukee, but --
Craftsman -- decent tool, but batteries die quickly and are expensive to replace -- plus they have several different types of 18V batteries which are not interchangable Ryobi -- Light weight, but batteries don't hold charge for very long and need to be swapped frequently Ridgid -- Heavy tool, but batteries seem to provide power for extremely long time, plus all parts (including batteries) have a life-time guarantee.
The biggest operating expense for cordless tools seems to be the replacement batteries, so the Ridgid guarantee is important to me. I bought several of their 18V tools and batteries (to always have charged ones on hand) and if/when a battery can't be recharged I send it back to them and they send me a free replacement. Regards --
the li-ion batteries by milwaukee have an internal counter which count the number of times the batteries have been charged. they are warrantied up to 2,000 charges so that's pretty damn good. -c

HDs ridgid has a lifetime wattanty on the tool and batteries