cordless drill not working

Page 5 of 5

Earlier response whose initiator I managed to lose, sorry.

Of course he might be sensitive to the "half of the crap" in cigarette smoke that isn't in highway stuff. REAL bad analogy, shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how allergies work, and is probably about the dumbest thing I have ever heard from the pro-smoking camp.
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

Yep. I believe they even printed the acronym on the bottom of the pack.
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 03:41:23 -0800 (PST), "Hustlin' Hank"

Let's Stop, My Finger's Tired
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

I was born well before the midle of the last century and I remember the radio ads saying "Lucky Strike Green Has Gone to war."
And how about "We're Tobacco Men, Not Medicine Men."
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Yep......... IT'S BROKEN !!!!!
In typed:

OPen it up and look for the open wire or battery connection, etc.. Or see if anyone cares to repair it; they might. I would offer to at least look at such a thing for a price; it's almost always one of the wires at the switch that break, right close to one of the posts.
Twayne
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
In warranty, let them deal with it. Otherwise, turn the chuck by hand, and try it again (check for intermittent brushes).
You can take the battery out, open it up, and use a VOM to test the switches.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
badgolferman wrote:

Thank you for the helpful comments and even the unhelpful ones.
I took the thing apart and moved switches and wires around. I found nothing wrong physically. After reassembling it the thing started working! It is possible the REVERSE/FORWARD switch was not making proper contact but it felt fine before I disassembled the drill. In any case, it is working like new again.
Maybe that drill is a female -- it just needed some loving attention....

== Yes. you hit the "g" spot. ==
badgolferman wrote:

Standard procedure for fixing things. Take it apart, put it together.

you forgot step 3: try not to act surprised when it works. a.k.a. "I meant to do that"
Joe wrote:

what are you supposed to do with the left over parts?

Put them in the box where you put left-over parts. Be patient. Eventually you'll have enough left-over parts to build a new one.
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in

Run a jumper wire across the REVERSE/FORWARD switch and your drill will go both REVERSE and FORWARD at the same time. This will get boring jobs done quite as fast.
badgolferman wrote:

it happens - throw it away and buy a new one. At least you will have a spare battery!
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:25:03 -0500, "badgolferman"

Ryobi is of lower quality. A corded Milwaulkee is top-quality and about the same price as the cordless Ryobi. If you'd rather have a better cordless try Makita or Panasonic.
If you are like me and love to check out pawn shops,flea markets and yard sales, keep an eye out for another 14v Ryobi drill. Yours is the exception to the rule on cordless --about 99% of the time the trouble is batteries. The tools themselves usually don't break or wear out. If you should happen to see one, you could probably buy it for a couple of dollars and assume the batteries are shot. If you have a spare drill, your original will never break again (Murphy's Law). I bought a 9.6 Makita wth two batteries and charger for $2.00 at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago-- the guy said the batteries were bad, but they seem to work fair, and I already had a couple of extra batteries I got for a dime each from a pawn shop that was moving, and didn't want to move all the loose crap they had laying around. Larry
For whatever reason, they don't want to standardize the batteries. Even within the HF brand, there can be two or three different style batteries of the same voltage. So, when the battery eventually goes weak, you end up buying a whole brand new whatever the device is. I suspect they like selling "whole new".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Phisherman wrote:

The point was to NOT spend more money and repair what I had.
Yes, Ryobi is lower quality but perfectly suitable for the common homeowner. I do have a corded Makita that has been sitting in the bottom of a drawer gathering dust for years. If I truly need more power or both batteries die I drag out that beast.