cordless drill not working

Page 1 of 5

My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully charged at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any suggestions?

Have it repaired.
nb

check the brushes

Clean the contacts on the drill, a solvent like alcohol a small brush or rag then use an eraser on the contacts, an ink pen is best as its more course. if it doesnt help try brake or electric component cleaner in a spray can in the switch=- Let it Dry first a long time, if you dont have any you could pour in alcohol or something like a bit of laquer thinner, let it dry for about 6 hours or you might have the real meaning of Fire It Up. Or open the handle see if wires are loose and trace it with a meter to see where power fails. If its had tons of use check motor brushes.
On my Makita, there is a center position on the FORWARD/REVERSE switch. Well, maybe it is not a position, but if you get there, the drill is D-E-A-D. Took me a while to figger that out, but I finally did.
You might check that and any other obvious stuff.
After that, you're on your own.
badgolferman wrote:

Take the handle apart and jump the switch. If it runs it's the switch, if it don't, it's probably the motor. If it's under warranty bring it back (before) you take it apart. Did you try all settings, reverse, low, high etc.?

Do you really smoke Lucky's?

His finger may just be tired

Do they still make them?
Steve

WOW! You must be as old as I am. :-) Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco, Am I correct?
Hank
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

I was born in the middle of the last century and both parents were regular army during WWII, everybody smoked. GAAAK! COUGH! HUFF! WHEEZE! You may have heard of a snot nosed kid, I was a green slime kid. One of my generation who is allergic to the smoke from idiots. They didn't know any better back then but people do now so there's no excuse.
TDD
<snip>

<snip>
Your new ISP might not provide their own news server, but there are plenty of other news servers out there that are accessable from any ISP. Some charge a fee (especially those that provide a lot of binary groups), but others are free. In other words, don't go away just because you change ISPs.

So just be brave and go though Google. Can't imagine why that would be a problem with the ISP. There are a lot of newbies that need your acerbic wisdom. <G>
Joe

Acerbic - never been called that one! New material :-) Been called lots of other things that mean about the same though :-(
I'm sure I'll look into it at some point, There's one heck of a honey-do list I've been warned of. Paint this room and that room, tile 1/3 of a level, full thickness hardwood another 1/3 of the level, redo a bath, more new windows, yadda yadda. Then the sisters condo 275mi south in CT I've been commissioned for. Then a buddy who has a 3000+sf 150yr old house mentioned just today the main beam rotted and things dropped 4" in some places. He'll definitely be the foreman on that one! [note to self...check life insurance].
Red Green wrote:

Just another clueless smoker. Just the kind that forced the imposition of smoker control laws, because when someone honestly bothered by their exhaust said something about it, they took it as a personal affront and refused to be considerate.
The world is sure nicer now that it was 30 years ago. Smoke is only an occasional problem, instead of the continual attack it was then. Let's hear it for smoke free workplaces, restraunts, etc.
Bob F wrote:

Smokers have every right to harm THEMSELVES. They have no right to harm me and thee. If there are places where smokers congregate, fine, I don't have to go there but there are places I have to go, like government offices and other public venues. I don't drink alcohol and don't go to smoke filled bars, if I do, because of my severe allergic reaction to tobacco smoke, I'll be sick for several days. I think every adult has a right to do whatever drug, drink or poison they want. Darn it, I've lost a lot of people I cared about to heart attacks, lung cancer and liver disease. I'm not in perfect health but I'm outlasting a lot of friends and it really hurts to lose them. The younger they are, the more tragic it is. I had a customer who was a nice kid in his early thirties, a very aggressive lung cancer took him too soon. He was a heavy smoker who left behind a wife and children. When I talk to my friends about what they're doing to themselves, they answer, "I know." I don't try to lecture them or pester them about it because it will just make them hate the messenger but I will tell them I care about them from time to time. I'm getting to point where I don't want to like anyone who has self destructive habits anymore.
TDD
Bob F wrote the following:

In NY there is. No smoking in government buildings, no restaurants, no workplaces, and any enclosed spaces occupied by other people.. You can't even smoke in the stands of Yankee Stadium, which is an open air stadium. I don't know about the other NY/NJ stadiums.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
[snip]

There's a restaurant I was considering going to, but decided otherwise after finding out it's the only one in this town that still allows smoking. "No Smoking sections" are useless when the smoke won't obey signs.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Oh...eweeee...no way man. Have to check them out on that note.
Red Green wrote:

Hey, I resemble that remark. If it wasn't for you guys and the folks on the comic strip newsgroup making fun of me, I'd have no non-job-related social interactions at all, mostly. Or is that TMI?
But seriously- My ISP also dropped news (and they are now also dropping toy web site hosting, as part of moving to the Yahoo server farms), so I also signed up with giganews. No problems so far, only three bucks a month.
If I didn't have my e-mail address out there so many places (more than I can remember), I'd pull the plug on my ISP. I get my connectivity from a different company, so all they are now providing me is email and back-up dial-up capability. (I could care less about the 'features' on their silly home page.) If I had a wi-fi netbook, I could just go down to local coffee shop when the DSL was down.
-- aem sends...