CORDLESS DRILL

After several years, the battery in my cordless drill is dead.
As is often the case, a replacement battery costs more than the whole drill !
The drill gets occasional light-duty use around the house.
Can anyone suggest a replacement brand ? ( less than $40 )

I'd recommend taking a look at www.primecell.com who rebuild battery packs. I had two 14.4V units die and thought the same as you. I had one unit rebuilt for $40 (took a week) and it's more powerful, holsd a charge much longer and allows me to keep using a good quality cordless drill/driver without having to resort to a cheap/inexpensive one.
bobmct wrote:

I guess Interstate Battery also rebuilds battery packs. I've never asked so don't know for sure.
<RJ> wrote:

Do you really think someone can recommend a replacement brand of battery for a completely unknown drill? Is it a 3.2V drill or a 36V drill? A harbor freight cheapy or the most expensive brand?

corded drill.
The Skil I used to have, batteries lasted about two years. I've had good results with Harbor Freight brands. Wait for sale.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 07:15:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Whatever Home Depot has in that price range. Most drills in a given price range will perform close to each other. Sure, it won't hold up like the $200 drill, but you don't expect it to and it is not used heavily. A 14.4 volt is plenty powerful for 98% of what the homeowner does.

For less tha 40 bucks you can be guarnteeed the cheapest made drill along with second rate chinese batteries. HD Ridgid brand will get you a lifetime battery warranty, dont be so cheeeep this time. You do get what you pay for.
<RJ> wrote:

LMAO!

I'm sure there are many opinions about brands. I followed a thread here a while ago where it seemed like everyone was using Makita. I've used Panasonic, on the recommendation of some pro carpenters who said their batteries held up longer.
Problem is the budget. Tough to get anything decent for $40. You may be able to get an OK corded drill for that amount, but w cheap cordless, the batteries won't last.

get a drill/driver that uses Li-ion cells; they hold a charge in storage much longer than NiCd or NiMH cells.

Then you'll only get crap for a tool.

Maybe his $40 can get the dead battery pack rebuilt?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik