Corded circular saw

Hi, Today my 30+ year old B&D saw quit.(Bearing is shot at last) Need a replacement which will last for rest of my life. Any suggestions/recommendations? To use around the house doing light chores. TIA,

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Take it to a bearing supplier and get a new bearing.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Skill makes a classic model which you will love for the rest of your natural born life. Tony.

Reply to
Meat Plow

How long do you expect to live? A Ryobi will do the job if you've only got a year or two left and will leave more inheritance for the kids / pets... Otherwise Milwaukee seems to be pretty good.

Reply to
Pete C.

A lot has to do with your usage. I too, still have my 40 year old, 6 1/2" Skil saw. But, I never use it. I have an 18 volt DeWalt unit which handles all my needs. I think I also have a 7 1/2" saw, I think B&D, which I also don't use. I have done all my home work with the battery unit including some fairly extensive remodeling. BTW, if you decide to replace it with a new AC unit, you will be very happy as the new ones are 1/2 the weight of the 30-40 year old units. The B&D unit is about 20 years old and is also much lighter than its older Skil brother. The wonders of plastic!

Reply to
Art Todesco

Hi, LOL. I don't know. I am turning 67 this month. Still in good shape. No rattle, no squeak, no rust, lots of torque and horse power yet. Thinking about fixing this oldie but the weight! Since Canuck dollar is on par with USD, time to spend some money in a hurry? Kids? One is a doctor, one is an engineer. But we do have 3 cats and a dog. Actually I was wintering the dog house today. Adding insulation and laying down wooden floor.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I used to go to Montreal a lot for the Jazz festival (great event and city) when I lived in the northeast US and it was only a 5 hr drive. One thing that I noticed, was that regardless of the exchange rate at the time, most everything worked out the pretty much the same cost as in the US. This kind of makes sense to me since the US and Canada are at pretty comparable levels of development and standard of living. So unless you are a rich currency exchange speculator, does the exchange rate really matter?

Reply to
Pete C.

Bosch CS20

Reply to
JohnnyC

Hi, After 30 odd years Canuck dollar is as good as green backs, LOL! Reminds me of '70s. You musician? I am life time low brass guy. At present I play euphonium with local concert band made up of 50 or so advance amateur players.Having lots of fun keeping my eye sight and lungs in shape.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

i like several different brands. makita is a good saw. it has a nice flat shoe and easy to read cutting guide. the bosch saw is nice. it has a hook which is handy for hanging it on framing if you're up in the air. the cord connect is also good for passing it up or down from one level to the next.

good luck,

a tubador

Reply to
anony.moose01

No musical talent whatsoever. I do professional audio production work on the side now and then though. So what about exchange rates?

Reply to
Pete C.

I have a Porter Cable that has had a lot of use over the past few years and is still going strong. On job sites I've used many other brands but still like my P/C best. When you get to the better quality models, it all comes down to personal preference.

Red

Reply to
Red

Are you right-handed? Consider a left-blade saw so you are looking directly at the cut line instead of leaning over the saw. I have a Porter Cable 743K which I am very happy with.

For many in depth discussions on circular saws, search rec.woodworking. The subject is brought up on many occasions.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, I am lefty and have a P&C Tiger saw. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

OK, I'm confused...Why are you telling us about the Tiger Saw?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, Nothing. Because P&C came up.... I find circular saw is used more. But reciprocating saw has other uses.

Reply to
Tony Hwang