Copper sink discoloration

I bought a brand new copper sink and accidentally left a bar of soap in it. After about 4 to 6 hours, I removed the soap and noticed discoloration, a grayish color, where the soap had been sitting. The copper finish had transferred to the soap bar. The soap really is not harsh. How would I get rid of that discoloration and get the copper color back?

Thanks!

Reply to
dvanlangen

Did you get any literature with the sink? I'm sure they would have a suggestion. If you know the manufacturer, try Googling them. Either that or try some Brasso or some other brass cleaner/polisher.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Copper is a fairly reactive metal and is going to discolor from numerous causes. Getting used to it could be the best course of action.

Reply to
spt97

Copper is not a fairly reactive metal. It's non-porous and will not stain.

Reply to
dvanlangen

Copper is very reactive, acid turns it green, the soap may be alkali and affected it. Contact the manufacturer or store. It might polish out

Reply to
m Ransley

Guys, guys...........let's not fight.

Depending on the environment copper can be considered "reactive".

Acid water conditions (fresh water) can each through it fairly quickly; ie pin hole damage.

WIth typical SoCal doemstic water, copper plumbing can easily last

50yeas +.

A bare copper sink can be "stained / discolored" by a wide range of stuff.

Maybe that's why SS is the typical choice for metal sinks not "chic

-chicy" copper. :)

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Copper can be very reactive in the right chemical environment, such as our plumbing system over about 20 years. After clothes & hair & ceramic sinks going green She got fed up and all copper was removed except basin taps (which etch away every two years). Now no more green. My guess is the stain is a normally soluble copper compound and the clothes & hair were coloured from copper stearate (soap). That BTW is water from our well which is like cool, clear champagne to drink, but is hell on copper. Phil

Reply to
pfo