Copper Pipe Leak

I have a copper pipe which just developed a leak. This is in the basement of the house. I have two wells and this is neat the valve which allows me to switch wells. I have never had a copper pipe leak, except when damaged. There is a high iron content in the wells, also sulfur is present, and the ph is close to balanced. What would cause this pipe, actually a tee fitting to develop a leak? It is in the fitting wall, not the joint. This is large ~ 1 inch copper.
Al
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:19:12 +0000, Al Schmidt wrote:

Could have been a minor flaw inside the tee that was exacerbated by the chemical content of your water. How old is the tee?

Good details in your post................. IMO an unlucky, bad fitting.
How old is your installation?
If your water chemistry encourages the deposition of calcium carbonate that will help protect the copper but it takes a while.
Hydrogen sulfide (cause of rotten egg smell) usually accompanies iron & is corrosive. I do not know the influence that iron or sulfur alone will have on your pipe's corrosion rate.
My understanding is that dissolved oxygen is the main culprit.
cheers Bob
Al Schmidt wrote:

Check with some nearby neighbors to determine whether your water supply is corrosive to copper. The problem is not all that rare in some parts of the country. People at the county or state level also should have some knowledge of that possibilty. If your water supply gets a good grade, then replacing the fitting should end the problem. If there is eveidence of copper corrosion, the well installer should have known about it and used approved plastic piping instead. Good luck.
Joe
Thanks to all who replied. The connections are, I'm guessing, about twenty years old. I just moved in last December. After further inspection, there seems to be a mix of galv. iron, copper, brass, and some kind of black plastic tubing. It make dissimaliar metals. I'm going to call a plumber to check it out tomorrow.
Al

I've heard of regions with high sulfur content having corrosion in copper pipes. Could be a defective fitting that took many years to corrode or erode through. Rare, but it does happen.
While simple enough to replace it, check the tubing going to it to be sure they are not corroded and ready to let loose with a lot of pin holes.
The section with the leak is almost all fittings, valves. The valves are hard to operate and some don't quite shut off. I think I'll have the whole section replaced, new pipe & valves.
Thanks for the responses. Now the wait for the plumber.
Al

have all new installed use BALL VALVES ONLY!
they cost a little more but always open and shut easily, and dont restrict water flow.
every new valve I install is a ball one eventually they will all be upgraded
Thanks for the reminder on the ball valves. I do want those.
Al

Use Sharkbite Fittings you can get them at www.plumberscrib.com
On Nov 10, 8:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@lakecountypipe.com wrote:

Are the fittings copper and galv theres your promblem
On Nov 10, 9:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@lakecountypipe.com wrote:

That place has a really high price for the SharkBite valves. The rest of their prices seemed okay.