copper or cpvc water pipes?

But copper wont crack when someone bumps into it, CPVC will. Copper wont sag between the hangers, CPVC does. Copper dont shatter when a screw on fitting is over tightened, CPVC does. Copper dont make the hot water taste like plastic, CPVC does.

I dont consider waiting hours for the glue to dry to be "ease of maintenance". Soldering is more work, but the pipes can be used a few minutes after soldering. CPVC needs hours to dry securely and until them, No Water".

Reply to
ltgv2004

Your union rep teach you that?

You can take a piece of CPVC pipe and pound it flat with a hammer and not shatter it. U/V damaged white PVC gerts brittle but that is usually after about 10 years in the Florida sun. People use PVC pipe for guides on boat trailers and boat lifts here in South Florida. If it was as brittle as you say it would snap off the fist time the wind caught your boat. That is not what happens.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, and not just the blue stuff. A big advantage of PVC/CPVC is the ease of repair and modification. It is flexible enough that given a few feet either side of the patch it can be cut and a new fitting inserted. Can't do that with copper (easily).

They were using the wrong schedule PVC then.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

CPVC won't.

Big deal, put in a cheap hanger from plumbers tape.

CPVC doesn't. It may split on the cast line if you screw a female CPVC onto a male galv but that is about it.

CPVC doesn't impart tast or leak contaminants - how come you missed that lie?

Try reading the glue container. It is serviceable in a few minutes.

I must say you managed to cram a whole lot of lies into a short post.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:1155177742.860452.12310 @q16g2000cwq.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, and the liberal judges overlook it, because all landlords are evil!!

Reply to
Dave M.

The garden hose piping or also called PEX. is exactly as you said I'll leave out the Mex. stuff , it's nothing but low end crap a money maker for the contractor no real; skill to install it just drill a go.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

As far as drain lines go, nothing's better than plastic. (other than the need to provide more support than you would for copper/iron).

Reply to
Bob M.

U/V damaged white PVC gerts brittle but that is

I have to smile. Here in NM, PVC lasts about 8-12 months exposed!

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

How do they plumb swimming pools?

Reply to
gfretwell

The garden hose isn't the same material as PEX. Use Google to find the PEX vendors and learn about the stuff, it's not a third-world product, but is extensively used in radiant floor heating and in Europe. It is what is used in many new houses now, not that this recommends its use elsewhere. I'm curious about the CVPVC. I wouldn't use PVC inside my house though, that's for sure. I realize that people put plastic everywhere these days, but the long term outlook for lots of it doesn't look good to me. As for the pinhole problems in copper, I can see from comments posted that certain water conditions apparently are a problem, but fortunately this isn't the case in my area. But, a lot of type M copper is simply too thin, and I would not be surprised if the grade of copper is the real problem in some of the cases mentioned. I dug up recently a length of 1" copper in my garden, a part of a 40 year old irrigation system for pumping water from the San Joaquin River, was found to be in such excellent condition, that I may put it back into service. If it had been plastic, my shovel would have cracked it during removal. As for the pipe sizing issue, I'll agree that delivery pressure and volume issues have to be considered and tested for the job to be done right.

Sacramento Dave wrote:

Reply to
Alan

I lived in Las Vegas for 15 years. PVC would last about 1 summer in the sun, and then that was it.

Reply to
Zootal

This has affected M and L This has been blamed on the water and the water company blames it on the power company (stray currents), or the electricians. I don't rule out an electrical problem but I wouldn't know where to start pointing the finger

Reply to
gfretwell

I guess it's a good thing the sun doesn't shine in Florida because most people with a well have pipes outside and they are always white PVC. Explodig pipe is not a huge problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

Beats me. Never looked. Most pools are below ground so I'd imagine the piping is below ground. I'm really going from my own experience of where I've left a couple sticks of the stuff outside in the weather and within 10 months or so, it was pretty brown (from white).

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Yeah, all the well pipes here are underground. It's the altitude for us that does it. At 5800 ft above sea level, the sun is pretty intense. That's why a number of folks refer to Albuquerque as the "skin cancer capital of the world". I've lived in a number of places, travelled to many others, and have never felt the sun more intense than it is here. With that comes extreme dryness as well so that may be playing a part in the plastic's demise as well. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I'm in Arizona, and the PVC pipe I've seen turns brittle a lot earlier than ten years, unless it's covered with white latex paint, and even PVC conduit made to be UV resistant starts showing brown-purple spots after a year. About the only PVC that seems impervious to sunlight here is the kind used for siding and rain gutters.

Why isn't CPVC used more for plumbing? It seems like the perfect pipe to me, except when for resistance against gophers gnawing on it.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

It's very popular here, even in the mcmansion homes. I don't think IO haveheard of a builder using copper in 10 years and my wife is a builder. I used to see copper in commercial but certainly not all of the commercial jobs. Usually only the state jobs.

Reply to
gfretwell

Naw, PVC is broken down by UV exposure. You are probably right, at 5800 feet the amount of UV reaching the pipe is much more than it is at sea level - anyone who mountain climbs knows this. I've got 2nd degree burns from not respecting how much more UV exposure you get at the top of even a moderately tall mountain.

It's my limited understanding that the PVC is worn out by the UV radiation reacting with the chlorine in the pipe - something that CPVC as much of due to how it's processed. But I think all plastic is harmed by UV radiation, I know that PEX is, PVC certainly is, nylon not so much, and I'm sure a few others.

Reply to
Eigenvector

The grey PVC pipe they make for electrical conduit has UV inhibitors. It is designed for outside use and holds up nicely.

I guess the reason they don't bother putting the UV inhibitor in normal plumbing pipe, is because it usually doesn't sit out in the sun. Most of the time it's buried underground or under a floor in insulation.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Simple solution. Put all plastic pipe inside of copper pipe, use the next size up in the copper. Like 1/2" cpvc inside 3/4" copper. Oh, wait a minute, soldering the copper would melt the cpvc. You have to use steel pipe instead. :)

Reply to
maradcliff