Copper For Exterior Gas Meter Hookup???

I am set to install an EV on a remodel and was going to do it in galvanized but I am wondering whether I can do it it L or K copper? I could sweat everything together and then hook up the line to the meter and to the house with dialetric unions??? Copper is so much easier to work with than Galvanized!!! Is this acceptable or do all connections need to be threaded connections? I am in California, Los Angeles to be specific.
Hi,
It has to be galvanised. It is code for one thing as well as it the best pipe for the job. the best way to do it is to just order the pipe precut and threaded. It doesn't cost too much to have it cut and threaded. you can save a little if you cut it yourself though and then take it in and have it threaded.
candice
Hi CLSSM00X7, hope you are having a nice day
On 13-Dec-03 At About 04:09:08, CLSSM00X7 wrote to All Subject: Re: Copper For Exterior Gas Meter Hookup???
C> From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CLSSM00X7)
C> Hi,
C> It has to be galvanised. It is code for one thing as well as it the C> best pipe for the job. the best way to do it is to just order the C> pipe precut and threaded. It doesn't cost too much to have it cut and C> threaded. you can save a little if you cut it yourself though and C> then take it in and have it threaded.
Wrong again, it should be black pipe not galvanized.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. Body by Fisher - brains by Mattel
I don't think copper is up to code for gas. Black pipe is used for gas. I understand that galvanized can flake off and cause problems. Ron

It really depends on which code the area uses. Our area uses the International Mechanical Code, which requires galvanized, or painted black iron pipe in out door use. Greg

Black iron is the standard for natural and LP gas, galvanized is allowed in some jurisdictions but most cities and counties are changing this as there is a danger f someone cutting into a galvanized pipe thinking it is a waterline. Also there is the problem of material flaking off from inside the pipe and geing into gas vlaves, pilots etc....... But I know of places where galvanized is allowed but you would just have to check with your local building officials.
Copper pipe is also allowed but again it is up to the local authorities. A lot of copper is used by LP gas companies and copper has been used quite a bit in he past on natural gas installations.
Soldered copper joints are ok but you must braze the connections instead of using plumbing type solder. The best connection is to use heavy flare fittings and use as few fitings as possible.
Copper is easily rotted out by salt, limestone etc......it must be protected.
They make a flexible pipe now that is a stainless steel corrogated ube that uses its own "flare type" connectors, sells under a few names with different brands being a tad different. I dont like the stuff but it is becoming the industry standard in gas piping. Gastite is one brand........

In CA, it has to be black pipe.
When the phone company sliced thru my copper gas line, the gas company refused to splice it and replaced the whole line with plastic. Then they came into my house to relight the pilot lights and wrote me up for having a copper pipe going to a gas fireplace starter. They don't like copper. When trenching for the new plastic gas line, they sliced the new phone line (but thats another story)(I won't even tell you what they did when they trenched for the power line).
Whether it's black or galvanized is determined by your local codes

One of the several reasons why black iron is used is cause it looks different than the other types of pipe. You can look at the pipe and say "oh, that's the gas pipe".
Yep, copper is easier to work with, but it's not as safe in the long run.
--
Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

Are you guessing again?? Greg
That's what my great aunt mildred said to me when I was four years old. It's got to be true!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus