Copper corrosion on outside of pipes

My bath/shower drywall was recently tore out - builder installed tiles directly onto drywall. Well it rotted out and created a mold farm. I tore out all the old drywall and the copper pipes are green (not too much) and have like a white powder/sand substance on them at the joints. Is this from the flux? I have no leaks but since I have the drywall off, I'd like to do repair/maintenance now. Or is this a non- issue.

Reply to
Tomas

Only an issue of Claude Cooper from Cleveland, copped the copper clappers that Clara the Cleaning lady noticed weren't in the closet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Had same problem with shower. Did not take note of pipes condition but it's been over 30 years with no problem.

Reply to
Frank

Per Johnny Carson and "Joe Friday" (?name) from Dragnet. Can you fill in the name for me ?

Reply to
C & E

Jack Webb

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Jack Webb

Oren

DAGS!

Stormin Mormon

I was going to go look for the link, but you got it first. Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's pure genius.

JoeSpareBedroom

I though the copper clapper caper was hysterical.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is the white powder at the solder joints, or up and down the entire pipe(s)?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Copper oxidizes to green (or black); as a guess, the white may be a lead carbonate from the solder/flux.

Clean both and they will just return.

Reply to
dadiOH

Just at the joints.

Reply to
Tomas

BTW: Acquaintance currently having major mould problem, older house. Problem first showed up as leaks onto ceiling of floor below. House was 'gentrified' a few years ago before acquaintance purchased it! After much investigation problem found to be leakage of shower water between a more recently in stalled shower liner (see gentrification!) and previous bath/shower (and also possibly the original improperly installed) wall tiles. Tearing out bathroom walls found grey/green 'plants' of mould growing in walls and below tub. Extreme 'yuk'! seemed to be case of 'Bad on top of bad' workmanship?.

Reply to
terry