Cooper pipe bending limits

Page 4 of 4

Seems you re still in the planning stage..If you want to BEND, drop the copper and use PEX..
Faster & cheaper and IMO better

It's not cheaper when you factor in the price of connectors, at least not the job I'm doing. I was considering PEX and then they showed me the seriously holy crud overpriced connectors. I decided to use copper instead.
I'm still not sold on PEX. The tubing may be good, but I have yet to see a connector I trust. Sharkbites use rubber o-rings to make the seal. Know what happens to rubber o-rings after 10-20 years? My copper will be sound when the rubber o-rings have disintegraged and the sharkbites are all leaking :-)

In my experience, they stay in place and continue to seal. If you take them apart they usually have to be replaced though.
wrote in message

They haven't been around long enough for anyone to really know for sure what will happen in 20 years. I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems to me to be really stupid to put something in a wall that uses a rubber o-ring to make a seal. I've got connectors here and there like this (that use a rubber o-ring to make a seal), mostly for my well and garden, and they all have one thing in common - they all leak after a while.
Time will tell - I'm still thining of becoming a plumber in 10-15 years. Just in case I'm right :-)

LOL... The cost of PEX isn't in the tubing or the end adapter for the copper pipe stub at the fixture, it is entire with the TOOLS you need to work with it...
You need a special tubing cutter to make cuts that are just right... You need the tubing expander to stretch the tubing to insert the end fittings...
If you are making connections of PEX tubing INSIDE your walls you are missing the point, PEX is supposed to be run in an unbroken manner from distribution manifold to the fixture connection without any breaks or connections to extend the length of the tubing run inside the walls... PEX is supposed to be run as if you were pulling communications wiring in a homerun or "star topography", and NOT in the same manner you would run copper pipes from device to device...
~~ Evan

If bending is that much of a concern, why not just use PEX? You'll get the job done in less time, too.
Joe

Sharkbites cost WAY too much, so much that they offset the high cost of the copper, and I don't know of any other way to make the connections (IANAP). I don't trust them not to leak at some time in the future. I'm old fashioned and want metal - solid metal - in my walls. Something soldered together that will outlast the life of this old house :-)
Zootal wrote:

Sharkbites have nothing to do with PEX.
Pete C. wrote the following:

Really? Then why do they sell them for PEX? http://www.pexsupply.com/SharkBite-Push-Fit-Fittings-588000
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

They sell them for people who don't know how to use a crimper and the normal PEX fittings.
Pete C. wrote the following:

That doesn't mean they have nothing to do with PEX.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I used some of those Shark Bite things to repair a 3/4" line at my cabin that was in a hard to get to location. I was skeptical, but after using them, and it holding for over a year now, I'm sold on them. A little spendy, but when you have an odd spot, it's Tinker Toy simple. Bing, bang, boom. Done.
Steve

Twenty years from now I'm going to be a plumber. And I'm going to get filthy stinking rich replacing all of those sharkbite fittings that people installed twenty years ago cause they are all gonna leak bwahahahaha...
Seriously - people are relying on a rubber o-ring to make a seal, and they are going to seal this in a wall??? Know what rubber o-rings do after 20 years or so? The more I look into PEX, the more I like it and the less I like the sharkbite fittings.
Using pressboard for exterior siding was a great idea also. Until it started to disentegrate ...
Zootal wrote:

You can bend soft copper as long as it doesn't kink. It is not code to heat hard copper to get it to bend, as I understand it, and it won't bend well without that.

You should NOT be bending 1/2 or 3/4 copper piping... You need to route the piping by using the proper pipe fittings...
Bending piping weakens it and with the quality of water and the amount of chemicals in it, you don't want to create a weak point where it will fail as it begins to corrode on the inside... Also you want to take care not to use too much flux before you solder, any solder that gets INSIDE the pipes will pit the inner surface of the pipe and create a spot which will fail in the future...
~~ Evan