Cooling garage

Page 2 of 2

The money was paid out in the form of rebates to lots of people who took advantage of the program. The money came out of the general fund? Which is now very "under funded"... It was hardly a "free" car. A good example would be a loaded suburban retailing at 45K, cost the person about 28K after rebates. But you had to wait about a year to get your "refund" on your taxes. So you still had to fully fund your purchase for the year while waiting for your tax rebate. If you talk to someone who took advantage of the program they are hardly feeling great about the deal, because they are stuck with a giant suv with no resale value. Who in the world is going to buy a used hacked up converted 3 year old suburban,.. when there are 3 dozen unalterted primo one's for sale? I wouldn't touch a Alt fuels car with a ten foot pole. (unless it was a new one from the manufacturer with all the warrenties, etc...)

They had to have the equipment installed on their cars, right? Who collected the money for the installations and hardware?

Bunch of Jeff Groscots buddies, who owned the conversion business!... So you are correct, if you are taking the dirty deeds angle!!!!
When you realize that children are going to die and suffer abuse because money that should have gone to child protective services and God knows how many other services that could save lives, it seems to me that stealing that money is voluntary manslaughter.

You're using a small a/c then? The advice I got was to not insulate the door as it would provide escape for the air cooled by a swamp cooler. I guess that I was considering a swamp instead of a/c wasn't clear. : -)

You are right if you choose to go with the swamper solution, that the door insulation is not nessessary. In AZ the swamp cooler doesn't work in late July through mid sept, during the higher humidity. Does the same issue apply to Vegas. If not (vegas doesn't get the humidity) go swamp.
I guess its important to decide what the objective of cooling the garage is? If you want to run the swamper 24/7 so that the garage/cars are cool on demand, then you will benefit from the swamper and the lower energy demand? My goal is to be able to work in the garage comfortably, with a little planning. That means its not available and cool on demand. I basically run the ac on the weekends...
I also think that sometimes the hassle of maintaining the swamper, can defeat the energy savings when compared to a very efficient/high seer AC unit. When its in the 100 +teens outside and you walk into my dry air ac'ed garage set at the mid 80s its nice in there. Walk into a swamp cooled garage when the humidity sets in and it does feel comfortable to me...

what are you going to do to minimize rust if you use a swamp cooler?