Cooling garage

I live in the desert and want to cool the garage. Is there a better, cheap method that putting a swamp cooler, large, outside and pumping the air in through a hole in the wall?

Reply to
Not so quick

A swamp cooler would be cheaper.....

Before I tell you the best way, you need to realize this ain't cheap and you need a good amount of land, not a lot of environmental restrictions, and don't mind several holes in the floor of your garage ....

Trench out from the house 200-300 yards, about 3 feet deep (it can be a little shallower, but you lose some cooling value). Lay some 6 inch plastic corrugated tubing in the trench and cover it up. At the far end of the tubing, put some kind of doghouse with screen wire covering where the tubing reaches above ground level. In the garage, terminate the tubing in the floor and put an exhaust blower near the ceiling. Close the garage doors and turn on the blower.

The blower will cause the air in the tubing to be drawn through. As the air passes along the tubing, it will be naturally cooled and cool you garage.

Easy.

Reply to
HeatMan

I would have to buy a shovel. And some land.

Reply to
Not so quick

Since my house sits between a street and a really big street, I'd have to be Col. Hogan to get it done.

Reply to
Not so quick

Well, you can serpentine the tubing....

Reply to
HeatMan

Now I'm getting interested. Did I mention that I live in the Mohave desert, Vegas?

restrictions,

Reply to
Not so quick

Today it's predicted to get to 115. Does your method work no matter how hot it gets?

Reply to
Not so quick

What is the size of the water pipe and what is the velocity of the water through it?

I should have told him to keep the velocity of the air down somewhat. I'd guess to about 25-30 cfm.

Reply to
HeatMan

Fuck your bullshit responses. All you've done in this thread is flirt with your boi friend. Learn to snip and learn to bottom post.

-- A. Because it's not the normal flow of conversation.

Q. Why is top posting in usenet wrong?

Reply to
Tim Connelly

Boy, you are some piece of work. The lord himself broke the mold when you were born, 'cause he didn't want another piece of garbage like you wandering around.

Intelligent people use decent words to let their knowledge shine through. Ignorant people use foul language to try to impress people through bravado.

'nuff said.

BTW, learn to use a spell check s> >

Reply to
HeatMan

Reply to
Not so quick

Shout out to Cave Creek. How's the golf?

Reply to
Not so quick

I like the top posting also. That's why I do it.

Reply to
HeatMan

a pox on golf courses. this is the fricking desert. the number of golf courses here is one of the highest per capita in the us, and each takes multi-million gallons of scarce water. those, along with development lakes, should be banned. for some unfathomable reason, people want to move to the desert, put up with the 116F temps (this week), and live by a lake. they should move to the mountains instead. if they should move outside of az, all the better.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

You've got a point. We've got a severe water shortage here in Vegas and we compete with Phoenix for water. I've only lived here for a couple of years but I lived in the valley for about 15. Where are the fusion powered desalinization units when you need them?

Reply to
Not so quick

you have lots of golf courses/lakes too, along with the usage from the mongo sized resorts and fountains everywhere. palm desert in calif is another big water waster; they actually have a regulation that states that the developer of large housing developments HAVE to put in some sort of water feature, i believe.

just came back from a couple of weeks in antigua and st marteen. almost all water on the islands is made with HUGH desalinization plants.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

The local water guys are asking us to cut down our yards while giving permission for the hotels to build huge lake based properties.

Reply to
Not so quick

Vegas/California/Arizona don't "compete" for water. The allocation of the Colorado river (Lake Mead in terms of NV) was established in the

70s, when the US signed the tready with Mexico regarding the Colorado river. So there is no competition, everyone is getting what they agreed to....

But I understand your point, if indirectly you are saying that Nevada is trying to take more than the amount they are allocated,... BUT, we AZ/NV are on the same team, us against CA, so don't take it wrong....

Be patient, a few years from now when the drought is over NV will have so much Colorado river water, they will be releasing the excess water down the system and will be besides themselves....

Reply to
Lake

You're using a small a/c then? The advice I got was to not insulate the door as it would provide escape for the air cooled by a swamp cooler. I guess that I was considering a swamp instead of a/c wasn't clear. : -)

Reply to
Not so quick

You are right if you choose to go with the swamper solution, that the door insulation is not nessessary. In AZ the swamp cooler doesn't work in late July through mid sept, during the higher humidity. Does the same issue apply to Vegas. If not (vegas doesn't get the humidity) go swamp.

I guess its important to decide what the objective of cooling the garage is? If you want to run the swamper 24/7 so that the garage/cars are cool on demand, then you will benefit from the swamper and the lower energy demand? My goal is to be able to work in the garage comfortably, with a little planning. That means its not available and cool on demand. I basically run the ac on the weekends...

I also think that sometimes the hassle of maintaining the swamper, can defeat the energy savings when compared to a very efficient/high seer AC unit. When its in the 100 +teens outside and you walk into my dry air ac'ed garage set at the mid 80s its nice in there. Walk into a swamp cooled garage when the humidity sets in and it does feel comfortable to me...

Reply to
Lake