Cooling garage

Page 1 of 2
I live in the desert and want to cool the garage. Is there a better, cheap method that putting a swamp cooler, large, outside and pumping the air in through a hole in the wall?
A swamp cooler would be cheaper.....
Before I tell you the best way, you need to realize this ain't cheap and you need a good amount of land, not a lot of environmental restrictions, and don't mind several holes in the floor of your garage ....
Trench out from the house 200-300 yards, about 3 feet deep (it can be a little shallower, but you lose some cooling value). Lay some 6 inch plastic corrugated tubing in the trench and cover it up. At the far end of the tubing, put some kind of doghouse with screen wire covering where the tubing reaches above ground level. In the garage, terminate the tubing in the floor and put an exhaust blower near the ceiling. Close the garage doors and turn on the blower.
The blower will cause the air in the tubing to be drawn through. As the air passes along the tubing, it will be naturally cooled and cool you garage.
Easy.

I would have to buy a shovel. And some land.

Since my house sits between a street and a really big street, I'd have to be Col. Hogan to get it done.

Well, you can serpentine the tubing....

Now I'm getting interested. Did I mention that I live in the Mohave desert, Vegas?

Today it's predicted to get to 115. Does your method work no matter how hot it gets?

What is the size of the water pipe and what is the velocity of the water through it?
I should have told him to keep the velocity of the air down somewhat. I'd guess to about 25-30 cfm.

ShitMan wrote:

Fuck your bullshit responses. All you've done in this thread is flirt with your boi friend. Learn to snip and learn to bottom post.
-- A. Because it's not the normal flow of conversation.
Q. Why is top posting in usenet wrong?
Boy, you are some piece of work. The lord himself broke the mold when you were born, 'cause he didn't want another piece of garbage like you wandering around.
Intelligent people use decent words to let their knowledge shine through. Ignorant people use foul language to try to impress people through bravado.
'nuff said.
BTW, learn to use a spell check since you can't spell simple one syllable words.

I asked the original question and I like top posting.

I like the top posting also. That's why I do it.

Shout out to Cave Creek. How's the golf?

a pox on golf courses. this is the fricking desert. the number of golf courses here is one of the highest per capita in the us, and each takes multi-million gallons of scarce water. those, along with development lakes, should be banned. for some unfathomable reason, people want to move to the desert, put up with the 116F temps (this week), and live by a lake. they should move to the mountains instead. if they should move outside of az, all the better.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
You've got a point. We've got a severe water shortage here in Vegas and we compete with Phoenix for water. I've only lived here for a couple of years but I lived in the valley for about 15. Where are the fusion powered desalinization units when you need them?

you have lots of golf courses/lakes too, along with the usage from the mongo sized resorts and fountains everywhere. palm desert in calif is another big water waster; they actually have a regulation that states that the developer of large housing developments HAVE to put in some sort of water feature, i believe.
just came back from a couple of weeks in antigua and st marteen. almost all water on the islands is made with HUGH desalinization plants.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
The local water guys are asking us to cut down our yards while giving permission for the hotels to build huge lake based properties.

Vegas/California/Arizona don't "compete" for water. The allocation of the Colorado river (Lake Mead in terms of NV) was established in the 70s, when the US signed the tready with Mexico regarding the Colorado river. So there is no competition, everyone is getting what they agreed to....
But I understand your point, if indirectly you are saying that Nevada is trying to take more than the amount they are allocated,... BUT, we AZ/NV are on the same team, us against CA, so don't take it wrong....
Be patient, a few years from now when the drought is over NV will have so much Colorado river water, they will be releasing the excess water down the system and will be besides themselves....

I was being slighty rhetorical and terse! :) But since the CAP went in, the competition for the excess amount AZ wasn't using ended... we take every last drop of our allocation and pump it into groundwater aquafers if we can't use it all!

The legislature pulled the rug out from under alot of people planning on taking advantage of the deal and somewhat stopped the bleeding... Those that did take advantage are stuck with dual fuel SUVs with no resale value. The millions that did make it through, is probably still in the budget deficit being rolled over year after year...

Yep.

Thanks for the info, but where did the money go? It was hundreds of millions of dollars, no? Everyone seems to think it was just a mistake. I don't believe that for a second. Someone put a lot of money into their pockets, and no one has ever given an indication of where the money went. The people that bought the cars basically got a free car, not bad even with no resale value. The no resale values sounds like spin to me.