Cool sight today

Page 2 of 2

During the training of Patton's troops in WWII, near Palm Springs, they set two world records one night. They had the largest numbers of paratroopers jump at night. And they jumped into the largest cholla forest in the WORLD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia_fulgida
Casualties were estimated at 80%.
Ouch!
I've quail hunted in southern Nevada where there is a lot of it. They call it "jumping cactus" because no matter how careful you are, you can get stuck by it. It doesn't really "jump"............ or does it?
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:57:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But they're pretty damned defenseless until the first feet get on the ground.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:05:33 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

These days they would have air support that would keep everyone's head down. That was the other plane that was impressive. An AC-130H "Spectre" would have people digging their fox hole a little deeper.
<stuff snipped>

Would that be the famous "Son of Puff the Magic Dragon?" I know a version of that song that's way too politically incorrect to post here. The last time I posted it I got cut to pieces even though it's an equal opportunity offender of a song. I know the original Puffs were already long in the tooth when they were used in the Vietnam war - I believe the Puffs were built on the military version of the DC-3. I've seen footage of gunships like the Spectre taking out entire city blocks in seconds. The Panama/Noriega business, IIRC. Gotta love those miniguns. Talk about your unique sounds. Designed and made by that tax cheat, GE! (-:
The only thing I've seen that's more impressive were tests of the stacked bullet array guns called "MetalStorm" with firing rates in excess of 1 MILLION rounds per minute. Targets just disappear in a puff of smoke. Talk about a "hail of bullets."
http://cseserv.engr.scu.edu/StudentWebPages/SNelson/ResearchPaper.htm
Good illustrations but too concerned with ethics. (-: That author merely confirms the amazing lethality of these new guns by writing:
"Metal Storm military technology is too powerful to be classified as a conventional weapon. While it only fires bullets, and does not unleash biological, chemical, or radioactive toxins, it is still a technology that is currently too powerful to be used for military applications."
I'll take "too powerful" over "not powerful enough" for OUR military weapons any day. The large array metalstorm guns make a sound unlike anything you've ever heard. Imagine the angriest beehive in the world and multiply by 100,000. I've seen a troop carrier loaded with crash test dummies just vanishing into a cloud of confetti. It's almost like a military Cuisinart set to puree the enemy. Looks nothing like a conventional gun and more like those black monoliths from the movie "2001." As you can imagine, DoD is *very* interested in this technology, especially for defeating (shredding) incoming missiles.
-- Bobby G.

??? so? Is that supposed to mean something?
Harry K
Steve B wrote the following:

I live within a few miles of Stewart International Airport (SWF). Also stationed there is the 105th ANG with 13 C-5A Galaxies that have flown over my house since I moved here in 1984. Unfortunately, the giant C-5As are to be replaced by 8 of the smaller C-17s this Summer. I will miss those big birds as they floated overhead looking like they were doing 30 MPH.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY