Cool sight today

Page 1 of 2
Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at us on final southerly approach, a C-130. Unknown if just a cargo carrier, or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. My wife saw it first and quipped, "What the hell is that?" It takes a lot to get her attention. I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for you.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Brings back memory during days in 'Nam in late '60s. Once I was sitting on top of fully loaded ammunition cargo pile going on a TDY in a hurry. Guess what? looking out one engine on the starboard side was smoking but no flame. Pilot cut out the engine and landed at destination w/o a hitch. At the time I was a bit scared and did not feel good until I stood on the ground. C-130 went thru a lot of evolution over the years. One of best flying workhorse around. I used to fly around in Caribou twin engine job too which can take off on short runway. And Huey chopper.

Yep. I was in USAF as a firefighter. Used to have runway standby duty and watch those Hercs and Caribous shoot touch n' goes all day long.
Those damn Hercs are one of the greatest planes ever designed. Still in production after 50 yrs! "Over 40 models and variants of the Hercules serve with more than 60 nations."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_C-130_Hercules
nb

Flew in a lot of Hueys in the oilfields in 74 to 80. Probably not AH1's, but their successor. We had no door gunner.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Six thousand parts flying in close formation capped by a Jesus nut.
-- Bobby G.
On 3/26/2011 9:41 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Darn, for a second there I thought you were referring to a mega-church.
TDD

I was stationed at Kelly AFB, Tx in...umm... 1954 at an intelligence outfit on a hill just above the start of the runway. Used to watch the B-36s landing They would touch down just past our location, pop chutes and roll for what seemed forever. Dunno how long that runway was but they would disappear over a slight rise in the middle of it still rolling with the chutes still out.
That one was known as "The Aluminum Overcast" and also "a collection of parts flying in loose formation". The only modern bomber that never saw action.
Harry K

We used to live under one of the landing patterns to Stuart Airforce Base. You want see a slow bird fly, the C5A looks like it's almost stopped in mid air. It's still going a couple of hundred MPH, but it's huge.
On 3/27/2011 12:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Back in '88 I was on the island of Kwajalein when an Air force Reserve C-5A buzzed the runway. It sounded like 10,000 vacuum cleaners coming in low over the strip and since it was empty, the pilot pulled up into a surprisingly step and fast climb then that monster disappeared into a cloud bank with what I could swear was a loud "POOF!". ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 01:10:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas

They were still pretty high when they passed over us (probably 20mi from Stuart). We didn't hear any vacuum cleaners, just a really odd whistle.
On 3/27/2011 10:51 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I believe I meant to write "steep climb" but anyway, if you ever get a chance to be near a C-5 on takeoff you will hear that unique sound of those high-bypass turbofan engines when they're max power. The older C-141 planes that came through there, screamed like banshies because the engines are older design turbofans. I got to ride a C-141 to Hawaii from Kwajalein and got my Air Force white box lunch too. The crew let me say hello to the pilots who were laid back in their seats with their feet on the dash and the plane on cruse control. They were Air Force Reserve pilots out of California getting in flight hours. ^_^
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

And this relates to home repair topics just how?
Joe

Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
And this relates to home repair topics just how?
Joe
Joe:
I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post is on topic, is spelled correctly, or some other minute detail.
I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already filled. It is held by Newton Fillmore, in Pacoima, California, although Mr. Fillmore is currently in a coma, and has been for three years, eight months now. We just could not bring ourselves to demote him without a proper hearing and him being present.
Please be advised that there are currently over 500 applicants and wannabes for the position. That does not include people like yourself who have broken with protocol and currently act like they are in the cherished position.
If and when and if ever the post becomes available, you will be required to write an essay of no longer than 1500 words, single spaced, using the words there, they're, their, your, you're, and any others you can come up with in as many incorrect grammatical situations as possible.
You must also describe the difference between "lose" and "loose" in 25 words or less.
You must also include the reason that gives you the lifelong right to hold this post, and review the rest of humanity on its daily heretofore unobserved unsupervised act of Usenet Posting.
Steve 3rd Pooh-Bah and Grand Mucky Muck of the Society of Netnannies.

Gotcha!
Joe

That's what SHE said.

In the true spirit of home repair topics slightly OT, by all means Google 'Antonov 225' and get some views of the world's largest aircraft. Fortunately, used for cargo work as far as we know.
Joe
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:09:51 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

B-36? (6 engine "pusher")
I saw one in the fifties that landed at Bolling Field in DC for Armed Forces Day. They actually had to link the runway at Bolling with the Runway at the NAS to get it long enough. They had "paved" about a quarter mile of the grass with that metal plate with the 3 holes in it. They also had to take a fence down. We went up to "overlook" the hill East of Bolling to watch it take off. Quite a bird.
I was walking around a C-5 at Andrews at another AF day in the 70s. They also had a B-52, one big ugly sombitch that looks like it means business. They also did a demo "mass drop" with the 82d Airborne. These guys jumped from what looked like a few hundred feet. It was spooky. I sure wouldn't want to be sitting in a fox hole watching that happen. It was about 90 seconds after the plane went over that they had run, screaming at us and mustered in front of the grandstand in full battle gear. All I can say is the bad guys better know a short prayer.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 00:28:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yes, the original design had a single *monster* tire per. It was soon changed. The Wright Pat Air Force Museum has one of them (gear only) in the corner.

That's why they call it the "BUFF". ;-)

I don't want to be one of them jumping on the badies, either. They're "hanging out" in more than one way, until they get down.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:28:48 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That was the thing that was so impressive. These guys were so low, the chute opened and they were on the ground. By the time the last stick was off the ramp the first stick was running at us. I don't know how they would have handled a malfunction.