cooktop power conversion

I'm thinking about changing my current configuration of having a regular oven/range unit to a separate cooktop and wall oven one because I'm building an island counter. Currently, I have one huge wire (probably an 8-3) which comes into my wall and terminates into a three pronged plug designed specifically for a combo oven/range. Can anyone who might know tell me what I would need to do to power up a separate cooktop and wall oven? This wire begins at the circuit breaker box from a 40A double breaker. Is it standard that they would each get only 120V or does it depend on each manufacture and if so how do I get more power out to each unit? I haven't made any purchases yet but I'm looking at a ceramic cooktop with 4 radiant burners, one of them an 8" round using 2200watts. I haven't even looked at wall ovens yet.

Cooktops are by code usually above 8 kw, ranges even the small ones are 6-8 kw. All fixed appliances need to be on their own circuit as per the NEC. Your going to have to run another SER cord to the new appliance. Most inspectors will have you upgrade the existing 8-3 SE to 8-3 SER so that you will have an neutral and ground as well as the hots.

It is close to CERTAIN that any effective cooktop or wall over would require 240 volt service. Basically, you have to "bite the bullet" and run a second 240 volt supply to the island.
Check the installation instructions for power requirements. Most stoves, for example, actually require 3 wires just for power (120-0-120) and in NEW installations a separate GROUND wire is required: IOW: you need FOUR wires for a NEW installation of a stove.
If you want to use only a three wire cable you either have to combine ground and neutral (permitted for replacements) OR you should find appliances that don't require the neutral connection. The problem with the oven is that the oven lamp is usually a 120 volt bulb. Also, timers, electronics, and small motors are often powered by 120 volts. Thus, you may not be able to find a 2 wire 240 volt oven or cooktop and will either have to combine neutral and ground or run a 4 wire cable to the panel.