Cooktop Installation

Installing a cooktop.
It's dropped in, wired, everything done except for securing the cooktop to the counter.
My wife wants me to caulk and seal between the cooktop flange and the counter before screwing it down.
Any alternatives to caulk and sealing?
--
Ted Borck snipped-for-privacy@panix.com

What do the instructions say? Caulk may not like the heat.

<< My wife wants me to caulk and seal between the cooktop flange and the counter before screwing it down. >>
Sounds like a nice sanitary thing to do. Just lift each edge a little, run a bead of clear silicone under it, set it down and remove excess. No problem with heat and no problem with spills. Ought to please everyone. HTH
Joe

What is the 'top' actually made of ? Is it glass or ceramic. If so, think about how to get it to 'let go' of the counter if you ever need to have it serviced. Our Kitchenaid ceramic surface gas cooktop comes with a roll of double sided foam tape. I thought about it for a while and decided K/A knows best (no caulk. R

Porcelain coated steel.

That's my concern.
If it needs servicing (probably not, but?), I'll be the one who has to un-stick the cooktop from the counter top. After a few years, having to remove it may damage or de-laminate the countertop.
What kind of double side foam tape (color, width etc) did you get get with your installation kit?
--
Ted Borck snipped-for-privacy@panix.com

IMHO, caulking would make it difficult to remove for replacement/servicing.
--
Ted Borck snipped-for-privacy@panix.com

Ted Borck wrote:

I wouldn't do it - if you ever have to remove the cooktop you'll be wishing you hadn't.
Get a new wife?