Converting remote controlled, dimmable, incandescent fan lights to flourescent non-dimmable

I have two ceiling fans in my kid's rooms that have four lights on each fan. These are controlled by a remote control which can dim them. I want to use compact flourescent bulbs, but the dimmable flourescent bulbs are ridculously priced, I'd spend over $120 for eight of them.

I'm thinking of wiring the coil of a relay to the output of the light control module inside the fan, which will energize at probably any of the dimmer voltages, and hook the four lamps all to 120V.

I'm wondering what the waveform out of the dimmer module looks like, and if it'll work okay with an AC coil relay. Typically it's chopped AC.

Reply to
SMS

Why not just wire the dimmer circuit out and use a relay?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Because the remote control for the fan/light works via the dimmer circuit microcontroller. I guess I could add another remote with a controller that turns the relay on and off, but I want to not have more remotes.

Reply to
SMS

Your idea may work, but I think I would just continue to use regular lamps, they will likely look better anyway. BTW I do use a number of CFs and do like them, but there are just some places they don't look right or they lack the ability to dim, which I like.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well they already have desk lamps on reading lamps by their beds, but for the ceiling light, the incandescents are too hot, and they burn out too often, besides using a lot more electricity.

In any case, I took apart the light area of the fan, and it's rather confusing. I expected just 120V coming into the dimmer, but apparently the circuit also uses some of the lower voltages from the fan speed control.

I have ordered an appropriate relay that will be easy to hook up inside the enclosure

Amusingly, this relay cost $2.86 from an electronics distributor, but I found the same one for $28.00 from a company that sells spare parts for spas).

Reply to
SMS