Converting recessed lighting to chandelier

I have a recessed light that I want to change to a chandelier. There is a large "cup" in the ceiling that holds an indoor flood light recepticle which is suspended within the cup by springs. I bought the chandelier which has a metal mounting "strap" that is supposed to attach to an outlet box in the ceiling by machine screws. Of course the outlet box in this case does not exist. Is there any type of insert that can be installed in the existing cup that will allow me to attach an outlet box or something similar that the mounting strap can be attached to securely?
Thanks in advance, Ben

I think your best plan of attack will be to remove the can light housing (large inverted cup) altogether, and attach a new ceiling fixture outlet box securely to the joists. If the can housing was a remodel, there are 3 or 4 spring steel clips around the perimeter that are holding the housing in place.
Ben -
Nope. Can lights are generally mounted using their own "straps", and often times are held in place with little more than a cable staple or 2. Don't attempt to hang anything from it.
But, the good news is that can lights are mounted between joists, and are also easily disassmbled from the outside in.
The other good news is that they make ceiling boxes for ceiling fans that are ideal for your situation - there is a bolt in the middle of the box that you turn, which causes it's arms to extend out and wedge into the joists. Google around for ceiling fan box, or something similar.
Take your time.... remove the old fixture, install the new ceiling box, and the most difficult part will probably be patching the sheet rock around the box.
Just to add to the others, once you've secured a fan or bar box to the joists. you can buy a small medallion to cover the large hole

Thanks to everyone who replied. This is exactly what I wanted to know!