Converting L.P. appliances to Natural Gas Question(s)

Page 1 of 2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080102000409030009060907 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I am in the process of switching over from LP to natural gas ... the line is roughed in, and I need to get conversion kits for my appliances before making the connection. I have a TAPPAN 30-4980-3204 Gas Range ... an ENVIROTEMP GIF403383 water heater (Lowe's) .. and a set of Peterson Real-Fyre Gas Logs (G4 Series) that I can't locate conversion kits for. My furnace & dryer were no problem.
Anybody got a clue where I might get parts/kits for these units ???
I understand TAPPAN HAD a kit (PN 80990018) but it is discontinued with no substitute available.
Any help would be most appreciated.
--------------080102000409030009060907 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head>
--------------080102000409030009060907--
Add pictures here
✖

My understanding is that only items with a blue star certification can be converted.
Also the propane supplier usually has the orifices for those items needing them. The LP guys are rather picky about making sure the conversion is done correctly.
Just as a side note why would you change from natural to LP? LP is more expensive than electric most places and far more expensive than natural.
Colbyt
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/3/2011 7:28 PM, Colbyt wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
<<<__ Bøb __>>> wrote the following:

I guess he meant just in case you want to go back to LP. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Not only that you had it in your title! I am guilty as charged. Not sure where my brain was but they weren't connected to my fingers.
Colbyt
Add pictures here
✖

== Best read the posting again. ==
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:28:57 -0500, "Colbyt"

I know nothing about this, but on general principles, I would think ability to convert would be a requirement for blue star cert, but not the only one, and thus some items could be convertible without the cert. Can't most things be converted if only there is the right orifice?

I wonder if they save the orifices they remove, (and even label them) and if the OP could find what he needs at an LP guy.

Add pictures here
✖

you may not be able to get conversion kits for older appliances.
you may end up buying new appliances.
since others have gone thru this why not try calling your natural gas supplier? they might know of a local person who can help you.....
Add pictures here
✖

Gas company recommended a local appliance repair parts dealer, but they can't get the parts I still need ... they were only able to get the kit for my dryer.
Add pictures here
✖
?

There are people out there that will know hot to do it with a drill, especially the range as that is the simplest appliance to work with. The appliance dealer knows only to replace a kit, a real gas man knows the equivalent drill sizes. I'd try calling a couple of heating service companies or real appliance repair guys.
Of course, if the range is an old one, you can make the wife smile by spending a couple of thou for a new one.
Add pictures here
✖

That's for sure, much of the time. I looked for a thermostat for my old stove, and the appliance parts guy said I wouldnt' be able to find one anywhere, but I found one that night on ebay. (Haven't bought it in yet for other reasons.)

Add pictures here
✖
On 2/3/2011 8:04 PM, "<<<__ Bøb __>>>" wrote:

Try a used appliance dealer, he may have a broken appliance with a good valve.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
I'm not in a big hurry .. the gas company says I only have to have it connected within the year, but the cost of LP here ($4.50/gal last fillup) dictates that I not drag my feet. !!!
call around. i have 3 in my local area to that i call before a fillup, and last week prices ranged from 2.39 to 3.91.
Add pictures here
✖

Back in the day, late 60s early 70s, I think the conversion was accomplished by taking the "disk" (or the equivalent) that had an orifice in it that was inline with the gas supply and flipping it around. Flow in one direction was for LP, the reverse was natural gas. Memory is hazy, but I'm fairly sure I did this conversion for my dryer then.
Do I remember correctly?
I only have conspiricy theorys to explain why this is no longer the case.
charles
Add pictures here
✖

If you can't find kits you might be able to make the correct size orifice by measuring the orfice you have, getting a replacement orifice with a small hole and then drill it out to the correct size determined by orifice charts
these charts might be helpful in figuring it all out
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/media/img/Gas_Orifice_Capacity_Chart.pdf http://www.joppaglass.com/burner/lowp_chrt.html
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

You can also adjust an orifice that is too large by soldering the hole shut and drilling a new hole. But in your case I agree with the others, you want to go larger. On a stove I'd try it first with out changing anything. The flame may be a bit smaller at the highest setting but I'd want to see just how much smaller before I bothered to do anything about it. Some gas appliances also have an sdjustable shutter on the combustion air supply.
Add pictures here
✖

OP is going from LP to NG:)
since you have some part numbers i would try calling other appliance parts dealers. in pittsburgh theres ONE dealer who has everything old. all appliance parts...
try googling your parts description
on the difference in parts.
its not just pressure LP has mre BTUs than NG.
OP might consider keeping both fuels for awhile, and replacing the LPs as they fail or need replaced.
Add pictures here
✖

YUes, I got that the op was going from lp to ng. I'm pretty sure he wants larger orifices. Or will have to live with less btu output.
Add pictures here
✖

That would seem quite impossible without adding a complete 2nd set of gas piping through the whole house.
Add pictures here
✖

Pesky details.
Add pictures here